Head Gasket and "While You're in There" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crank bolt secured. Thanks SBman. 300+ lb/ft. torque!

IMG_1890 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Before putting on the valve cover I rechecked valve clearances. Smack in the middle of the spec. It really impresses me how the 1FZ engine maintains its valve tolerances for hundreds of thousands of miles.
New timing chain tensioner.

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Got back to wrenching yesterday. Cleaning up parts before reinstalling is a slow thing. Perhaps I should have planned this better and had a big parts cleaning day or two.
Cleaning up the heater pipe I had to share an image of the PHH that came off of there. It's quite a pleasant job to replace it out of the vehicle!

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

I discovered it is better to clean parts as the come off and bag them clean. Makes it SOOOO much nicer when putting back together, seems to me you can focus more on the task at hand vs making it clean.

Nice progress, it will be so nice when it is back and purring like a kitten! Also spent about half a day in the engine compartment cleaning it as best I could. You will never have this kind of access again. Working on it in the future will be much nicer as well, if you should have to.

If you haven't yet, replace all seals on the firewall that you can now, such as the steering shaft boot.

All vacuum lines replaced. Serviced injector installed. Make sure to route the wiring harness before installing fuel rail. In other words, follow the FSM carefully. There's the new PHH too.

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

How to:
When you pull your harness from the injectors you are libel to crack the locking clips when you release them. It can be unavoidable.
But, you can replace the housings. I bought all six to just get 'er done fresh. Here's how you replace them. I'm sure there's a better tool than this Harbor Freight dental tool, but it works.

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Last edited:
The OEM wrap around the harness at #6 cylinder was shot so I rewrapped it with some insulating tape. Had some left over to go a little overboard.

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

Why didn't you deck the block? It looks like the gasket cooked the surface similar to mine. I also had a failure on cylinder 1 at the same coolant passage. My block showed similar pitting as yours.

My local experts said I could slap another gasket in there but there would be no guarantee on how long it would last.

Why didn't you deck the block? It looks like the gasket cooked the surface similar to mine. I also had a failure on cylinder 1 at the same coolant passage. My block showed similar pitting as yours.

My local experts said I could slap another gasket in there but there would be no guarantee on how long it would last.
A couple of Toyota LC pros are involved with this project. The deck was in good shape. I don't know about the pitting you're referring to. This is the second 1FZ-FE HG I've done so I had that one to compare this block with. All of us have to decide how far to go on a job like this ($$$), and as you can see here I left the 150,000 mile bottom end alone.

Sure I understand, don't take my post wrong I was just curious. At this point I'm opting for more down time (equating to more money available) to do everything that way I don't have to do this again in 20,000 mi.

This was my block
IMG_20160702_181019098_zpseonznkcw.jpg

You can see the pitting around the coolant passages and the fire ring especially on the exhaust side.
The block should polish to a sheen like this or it has pitting.
image-jpeg.1257419

I have appreciated reading through your thread however, you are doing a very detailed job. Keep it up!

Amazing write up. Also amazing how complex it is. Mine is at 312,xxx miles and I'm wondering how much longer it will go before I'll need the same. I've been thinking about maybe a head pull and rebuild as the valve guides are/must be leaking a bit although oil usage is still low (! qt every 1500 miles or so) and oil pressure is still high.
Thanks for the great write up and pics.
Ned

Amazing write up. Also amazing how complex it is. Mine is at 312,xxx miles and I'm wondering how much longer it will go before I'll need the same. I've been thinking about maybe a head pull and rebuild as the valve guides are/must be leaking a bit although oil usage is still low (! qt every 1500 miles or so) and oil pressure is still high.
Thanks for the great write up and pics.
Ned
Simply valve stem seals would probably take care of that oil issue, but once "you're in there" it's going to keep going. Where to stop is one of the toughest decisions to make. I'm an advocate of not reusing head bolts, for example, but that gets costly all by itself. My $0.02: keep running her. Have lots of fun too.

Last edited:
Dipstick tube. You see the o-ring and the seal above it. I wasn't able to get the upper seal in a timely manner, but since my oil pans had been hot-tanked and were very clean, I took a toothbrush and soap and cleaned the bottom end of this assembly really well. I carefully and sparingly applied Toyota FIPG to the upper seal and reinstalled with a fresh o-ring. I think it was an effective way to handle this.

IMG_2278.jpg

The black hub fan clutch felt good but I went ahead and drained it and refilled with 10K fluid. The interior of it looks a little different from the blue hub on my other 80.

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Got back on it today. OEM cap and rotor, but Rockauto Denso ignition wires. The wires I removed were OEM but 1998. Probably still perfectly good.

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom