Head Gasket and "While You're in There" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I managed to destroy a rear main seal and had to order a new one when I did mine. I thought it had a step to drive to, but just going flush is what you want.
Yeah, and I overlubed this one. It was a slippery mess and seesawed for quite a while until I found a 2X6 to coax it with. Fortunately I was looking at the FSM at this point!

Received new OEM head bolts and washers.

IMG_1712 (1).jpg

Got the new gaskets for the oil intercooler and reassembled then installed. You can see the condition of the cylinders in the second shot.

IMG_1731 (1).jpg

IMG_1732 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Wow pricey, wanna rent it after you are done?
I actually borrowed it myself! Here's a crazy idea you just made me think about: maybe the Forum or one of the vendors should start a rentable 80 series HG toolkit.

Yeah, I am doing my HG here in the next few weeks and need one too...

Are ARP head studs available for this engine? (or some other source)
Is it recommended?

Are ARP head studs available for this engine? (or some other source)
Is it recommended?
Yes, they (ARP) are. (In fact, SBman has a new set he might be willing to sell.) [Edit: he sold them.] There's a lot on this subject on this forum. I reused my bolts on my other HG replacement, but this time knew I was going to go either ARP or OEM (new). ARP is cheaper than new OEM, and undoubtedly higher quality. I was also going back with an OEM gasket, not having surfaced the block (just the head) for an mls gasket. OEM are TTY and ARP are much higher tensile strength. I the end I decided to go TTY. Either way I'm an advocate to not reuse TTY bolts, having done it both ways now.

Last edited:
This is the low oil level sensor. No replacement o-ring/seal available without purchasing the whole sensor. So, I hit it with Simple Green and then dish soap with a soft tooth brush. I'll apply a conservative amount of FIPG to the existing seal and reinstall as is.

IMG_1881.jpg

Fuel injectors checked, cleaned, rebuilt and returned. WitchHunter Performance. $22 each. This is the "while you're in there" part of this thread. They were covered in fine grit when removed, and while I didn't suspect the injectors as needing to be replaced, I wanted them checked and cleaned. Reinstalled as seen, I'll not think about them for the foreseeable future. For those of you that are not familiar with injectors check out the photo of the returned used parts: those six neat little stainless steel fuel socks go in the top of the injector and are a last line of debris defense.
The data sheet shows that the injectors were all functioning properly, but variance ("balance") was improved after servicing.

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

part number is 90430-27001.
Thanks, but are you saying that this part is currently available? I got Beno on my team...
It's definitely not a part of the OEM rebuild kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom