Head Gasket and "While You're in There" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Mighty690 can you share the valve cover painting advice and how long it took? Thanks.
Just saw your question, sorry.
This is a recent photo, so the valve cover paint has held up well thus far. I come from a wooden boat rebuild background so there was no magic here just proper prep and smart application (except for the fumes I breathed while sipping an IPA or two). The cover was hot tanked by the machine shop. I brought it home and hand washed the crap out it with very hot water and plain old detergent. Hot soapy water with various brushes and pads to scrub with is effective. Dried and prepped with degreaser/dewaxer solution. Then I rattle can sprayed an aluminum primer, after masking off other areas carefully with blue tape and a razor blade. Then rattle can red (and silver for the plastic cover parts). Light coats! more light coats are far better than heavy painting. Then I finished it all off with a couple coats of rattle can clear. It was all parts store stuff or Walmart!
FYI, I am not a fan of powder coating. I don't believe it's a long-term surface treatment, and can hinder future restoration and hide/exacerbate existing issues.

IMG_0411.jpg

BTW, it's still running great, doesn't burn oil and has never gotten hot.

Would you happen to have the part numbers for the crush gaskets and washers in post 31?
Sorry, no. That was from the "give Beno/Onur a call" days.
Someone else here will hopefully chime in though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom