HDJ81's & Accessories (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruzrjt said:
What is it specifically about the aftermarket steering wheels that seem to come on so many JDM's? What are people doing, if anything, about electrical goodies? Ie: winches, lights, aftermarket stereo's, etc... Has anyone been adding additonal fuse blocks, solar converters, or even spare accessory batteries like the folks over in the 80's section?

I added a winch and bullbar.
Easy install.
Lights are straighforward.

As for spare battery. I don't see a need. The HDJ's already have two.

I have not touched the strero yet, but I would like too.
But since truck is 12v so its straighforward.

Cheers,
Nick

61ihc said:
i thought my wooden steering wheel looked cheesy too but i love the feel, only problem is it's smaller and blocks the perimeter gauges. love my fridge, not so kean about the cheesy bushbar.

as for jdm stereos; has anyone plugged in a 2din Scion unit like all the guys with the american 80s? are they plug and play on the jdms too?

also, my dad just got his off the boat a couple of weeks ago. he was suprised that his came with the factory electric winch. unfortunately no controler. anyplace sell them reasonably?

thanks

Not sure about the Scion unit.
Might be an idea though.
Do you have a link?

As for the factory electric winch.
As Wayne how much a remote costs.
He had to order one.
I am not going to give you the price, I will let Wayne do that.

But I will say watch ebay.
If you see one, buy it!

Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
As Wayne how much a remote costs.
He had to order one.
I am not going to give you the price, I will let Wayne do that.
Cheers,
Nick
$1200 just for the remote...if memory serves me right...

crushers said:
$1200 just for the remote...if memory serves me right...
I hope they ship it with some KY jelly and some band aids..... ouch!

So yeah, watch ebay.
Or sell your factory one (someone will want it) and buy a warn.

Cheers,
Nick

hey nick,

here's a link to the Scion head unit replacement, i like the fact that no new wiring harness is needed or a pocket if you go with a single din unit. mp3 playback is key too. some of the newer models are satellite ready and have an ipod jack.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=91634&highlight=Scion

cruzrjt said:
What is it specifically about the aftermarket steering wheels that seem to come on so many JDM's? What are people doing, if anything, about electrical goodies? Ie: winches, lights, aftermarket stereo's, etc... Has anyone been adding additonal fuse blocks, solar converters, or even spare accessory batteries like the folks over in the 80's section?

added a spare fuse block (cover, fuses and wires not ni place yet)
Img0004s.jpg

along with an inline fuse holder to protect it (wires and fuse not in place yet)
Img0005s.jpg

This can lead to a "shocking" experience if you don't unhook both batteries. :frown: No need to ask me how I know... :eek:

-Steve

I've had an Pioneer AVIC N2 installed.
It works great..but you need lots of $$ to buy one..
This unit replaces the JDM stereo am / fm casette / cd player that was in my truck.

I forgot to add a full mandrel bent 3" stainless exhaust to my wish list.

$1200 for a remote for the winch?

LOL!!

I'm glad mine came with 2.

One in the winch bag and a brand new one with the OE Toyota plastic bag.

I made sure to test both to see why I had two. They both work great.

I will be taking offers on the new one. :)

If you are serious about needing a winch controller let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I was thinking of keeping both just to say I have 2. It impresses the ladies.

61ihc said:
also, my dad just got his off the boat a couple of weeks ago. he was suprised that his came with the factory electric winch. unfortunately no controler. anyplace sell them reasonably?

Let me know if JDMG decides not to part with one of his to keep impressing the ladies.

I should be able to get one for a fraction of what Wayne had to pay. However, mine will not not come with Vaseline. ;)

Mot

What is it worth?
Thats a matter of opinion.
Personally I would not pay more than $100
Any more than that and I would be looking at a Warn (Or looking at making my own cab controls).
Others might be willing to pay more. Not sure.

I picked up my Warn M8000 out of the paper for $480.
Then I need to buy a roller fairlead (did not like the hause)
They guy might of had 10 pulls on it. It looked pretty new.

I am sure you could sell your OEM winch for quite a bit on ebay.
Lots of guys want them.

Cheers,
Nick

I've got the factory winch installed in a factory(?) looking pushbar/bumper.

I would have bought an ARB and a Warn if it didn't have a bumper already. I have a M8000 and an ARB for a Forerunner. I don't think I would want an M8000 since the HDJ81 weighs 5500lbs as it is.

I would prefer a 10000# or bigger at least.

Does anyone know the rating for the factory winch?

I have the control of a warn that was stolen from my LC. For the kind of money you guys are bruiting about, I'll air mail it wherever.

Kalawang

I'll second that question regarding the rating on a factory winch. If you want to answer don't forget to specify if the winch is electric or Hydraulic.

cruzrjt said:
I'll second that question regarding the rating on a factory winch. If you want to answer don't forget to specify if the winch is electric or Hydraulic.

As far as I know the only available factory winch options were a PTO winch and the Electric which is 3600kgs rating and is an Aisin Built unit. They also built one for the Hilux Surf which I with was a 2500KG unit or ther abouts.

No Hydraulic factory option.

The Electric winch is quite slow but pulls well for it's rating and I am pretty sure would work well pulling an 80 out of mud as long as you go for a double or triple line pull. Looks and sounds like it would pull all day and Aisin stuff is normally well put together.

Personally I'd forget the remote and fit an internal set of controls and maybe make up a wireless remote (A warn or Champion one should be adaptable, just need to get out the meter to find the pin outs.

Not that I would argue with Wayne at all, but has anyone dyno'd a 1HDT pre and post 3" exhaust and seen any difference? There is still discussion about this. I would love to see a definitive answer.

I would think that run on a dyno you wouldn't find much if any total power or torque difference however the power and torque band should change fundamentally with peak torque and power coming in lower down the rev band as the turbo spools up quicker. I have driven a Hilux surf with a larger exhaust and the driving experience was much different, far better pickup lower down the rev band. Felt effectively more powerful even if total power was probably unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom