1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDJ81's & Accessories

Discussion in 'INTL- JDM Owners Alliance' started by cruzrjt, Aug 15, 2006.

1. cruzrjt

cruzrjt

Just wondering what, if any, accessories people are putting on their JDM's. Specifically the 81's. I am almost ready to plop down some money on one and have been drooling over sliders, bumpers, drawers etc. The only thing I have noticed is that alot of the accessories, especially the sliders/bumpers are all for later model 80's? Anyone have any experience with this? Have definetly seen ARB's front bumpers on a few 81's? Anything else out there?

2. nickw

nickw

Most accessories are available for all model years.
    Put on what ever you are going to use, or need.
    Everyone's needs are different.
    Half the people with built rigs that we would drool over, never actaully use them.
    It's all status to them. Wanting people to see what they have.
    Don't worry do much about what people have.
    Just worry about what you need and want.

- ARB (glad I have it. I already hit a cow elk. I won. :) )
    - Pyro/boost. very glad I got these.
    + others......

The above two are my 2 recommondations.
    Anything else is preference.

needs/wants:
    You could pretty much accessorize forever. Get the ones your really want/need, and get the others in time. You have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise you could easily spend every spare penny on your truck. I know I could spend $10K or more overnight.....

My big wants:

-Drawer - This is a big big want. If anyone does not use thier I WANT IT BAD.
    I want to be able to sleep in mine, as well as store gear more securely. So if anyone is not using thiers, please let me know.
    -Lift - OME coming very soon. (my current shocks are dying fast).
    -Sliders - one day. The stock running board are actually very strong. This can wait
    -Intercooler - Free power and free MPG. I want one of these. But I also need a tranny cooler at the same time.
    -The list would be long if I made it. But I try and not think about it.

Some advise. Draw your line and be happy.
    Otherwise you will spend forever looking at other rigs and never be happy.
    You have to look at what you have, and then consider yourself blessed. Not the otherway around. :)
    This goes for alot of things in life. I am low income for North America.
    Then I look at the rest of the world and consider myself very blessed.
    Very very blessed indeed.

Cheers,
    Nick

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  3. cruzrjt

cruzrjt

Nick,
    What suspension are yougoing with? I suppose that with the ARB you'll be going with the OME J's 3.5" lift? Also are you running a winch on your ARB?

4. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

you want to outfit your 81 with sliders and all then contact Slee off road for the highest quality...

5. SamB

SamB

Really comes down to what you use it for?? Mines used as a daily driver/tow wagon so I've done trans cooler, boost, pyro and trans temp gauges, nearly finished the 3 inch zorst, got the intercooler sitting around patiently waiting to be installed and stereo upgrade.

It's not for hardcore 4x4ing (just driving around our very flat farm...) so sliders etc aren't needed.

6. harveya

harveya

From the point of adding this stuff, 80 and 81 are physically the same in the same model years. Sliders for a pre 95 won't fit a post 95 as there is a slight difference in length as far as I am aware also some will only fit the non wide wheelarch models. Slee do ones to fit all types.

7. Martin White

Martin White

Gauges: Pyro, boost, AT temp and oil pressure (not done, planned).
    Tough dog shocks and dampener (ordered but not installed).
    OME springs all round with 15 mm spacers (partly done).
    Alpine stereo system with subwoofer (done).
    Redtec conversion (not sure if this counts as a mod but done).
    IPF X51 headlamp bulbs (done).
    Wiring harness upgrade (planned).

As for other wants, I'm with Nick. I'd love a set of the rear slider drawers but the cost of the ones I like is horrifying. IF I had somewhere to work and the time I know I could make a very nice set, but it is out of the question. I'm also thinking an ARB would be nice but I do have a very heavy steel tube bumper on already which would probably do well against a wandering beast.

8. James@JDM

James@JDM

One of the cheapest things you can do is add a decent air filter, (K@N or similar) that and a decent 3in exhuast wakes up the old 12 valve, almost to the level of a 24 valve (stock)

Cheers

James

9. Kalawang

Kalawang

My JDM came with a K&N air filter. I replaced it with an OEM. It didn't sit well with me that the K&N was only 3/4th or less the height of the OEM and I really couldn't live with the oil being sucked into my intakes. It was an emotional decision. :eek:

Kalawang

10. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i recommend NO ONE runs the K&N s*** filters, real life experience has shown that the K&N lets too much dirt through. you want more power then increase the boost. a larger QUIET exhaust might help. according to the local turbo gurus the only help that the larger exhausts result in is lower EGTS. it is a false that the larger exhaust actually increases HP according to the dyno...

if you have a plugged muffler or resonator or kink in the exhaust then this will cause more rstriction in which case a new exhaust will make a difference.

cheers

11. lshobie

lshobie

Media:
    Albums:
    ya, ditch the K and N's and stick with stock filters.

12. James@JDM

James@JDM

Thats interesting you guys are so hard on the K&N, I have never had any problems with them here, nor anyone I have spoken to, I'm not saying I'm right just going on my own personal experince, I have run them in both my trucks (12valve and 24 valve), and been happy with them. Personally my truck doesn't see alot of offroad use maybe that has a bearing on it??

Regarding the exhuast again, I can only go on what I have experinced and when fitted to my truck it woke it up quite a bit, but I never dynod it, maybe it wasn't that big of an improvement afterall.

I think I should send in a HDJ81 and give it to someone like BD Power and let them go for it, see what they really can make before it goes pop!!!

13. wussyPup

wussyPup just another ex-VI Cruiser

LOL - It's not how quickly we can make them go :popcorn: that matters - it's how long can we make them last without going :popcorn: that matters to me.

I'd be entertained to know your results, but you can't have mine for a guinea pig (kernel).

-Steve

14. James@JDM

James@JDM

The ulitmate aim is obivously to keep it all togther and not make it go bang, all I was trying to say is if it did I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it, as when you push the enevlope you have to expect to break things in the process.

have driven a BD Power Ram that had there compound turbo setup and was blown away.

I think the cruiser has potential, alot of power potential, the basics are there, I don't think for one second it would make as much power as a 6BTA or even close, but with a decent sized turbo and the corrsponding fuel increases (and correct supporting parts intercooler/exhuast, clutch) I think you could turn it into quite something, you only need to look at some of the arab countries and the power they are getting out of there cruisers to now there is alot hiding in there.

Cheers

James

15. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

16. wussyPup

Go for it James! We'll want pics and data. Sounds like fun. (but, you still can't have mine - I only got one and it has to last a long, long, long time)

Have fun, -Steve :beer: :beer: :beer:

17. 70sguy

70sguy GOLD Star

Huh? folks are putting accesories ON their JDMs??? I thought it was more about taking $hit off! Seriously now.. after a thorough defonging about all any JDM cruiser really needs is a new suspension an ARB bullbar and a set of boost/pyro gauges.

18. wussyPup

what??? and lose my red, magic powder dispenser...
    [​IMG]

and, oh so pretty [ugly] steering wheel...
    [​IMG]

19. cruzrjt

cruzrjt

What is it specifically about the aftermarket steering wheels that seem to come on so many JDM's? What are people doing, if anything, about electrical goodies? Ie: winches, lights, aftermarket stereo's, etc... Has anyone been adding additonal fuse blocks, solar converters, or even spare accessory batteries like the folks over in the 80's section?

20. 61ihc

61ihc

i thought my wooden steering wheel looked cheesy too but i love the feel, only problem is it's smaller and blocks the perimeter gauges. love my fridge, not so kean about the cheesy bushbar.

as for jdm stereos; has anyone plugged in a 2din Scion unit like all the guys with the american 80s? are they plug and play on the jdms too?

also, my dad just got his off the boat a couple of weeks ago. he was suprised that his came with the factory electric winch. unfortunately no controler. anyplace sell them reasonably?

thanks

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">