HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've heard there a lot of parts that are interchangeable from an HDJ81 to a gasoline 80 series. Is this true? How many different parts? Is the transmission the same?

The shift points/valve body of the automatic transmission and torque converter are not the same. The manuals were the same (H151F).
Transfer case is the same. Electrics in many parts, obviously not the engine/diesel related parts. The body is the same, except from some country of origin specific stuff.
If you had more specific questions it would be easier to answer.

Brake rotors may also be a little different, especially with the early 80s. I can attest to the u-joints and brake lines being the same. Assuming you have left-hand drive, interior parts are similar, but opposite.

Brake rotors may also be a little different, especially with the early 80s. I can attest to the u-joints and brake lines being the same. Assuming you have left-hand drive, interior parts are similar, but opposite.
Do you happen to know if the cruiser control is the same??

I can confirm that the mounts for the Cruise Control motor and the electrical connection are the same however the diesel version vs gas is quite different when it comes down to the cables themselves. What are you trying to do?

I can confirm that the mounts for the Cruise Control motor and the electrical connection are the same however the diesel version vs gas is quite different when it comes down to the cables themselves. What are you trying to do?
Well mostly, the cruise in my HDJ81 isn't working properly. The light will come on when I turn on the cruise, and then when I engage it it will only engage some of the time. And the few times it does engage, it will only work for so long and then the cruise light will start to blink and it will turn off and not turn back on for a while. Took it to a place to have it checked out and they said they could not read the system. It's important that I get it fixed though, this truck will be my daily driver soon.

Well mostly, the cruise in my HDJ81 isn't working properly. The light will come on when I turn on the cruise, and then when I engage it it will only engage some of the time. And the few times it does engage, it will only work for so long and then the cruise light will start to blink and it will turn off and not turn back on for a while. Took it to a place to have it checked out and they said they could not read the system. It's important that I get it fixed though, this truck will be my daily driver soon.

Get the factory service manual, it will show how to pull the codes via the service connector on the firewall, what the codes mean, and how to remedy. #1 best tool for owning one of these trucks. I think I linked you to it in another thread this week.

Get the factory service manual, it will show how to pull the codes via the service connector on the firewall, what the codes mean, and how to remedy. #1 best tool for owning one of these trucks. I think I linked you to it in another thread this week.
Agreed, start troubleshooting this using the manual. There was a thread not long ago about a cruise issue/problem involving the "cruise" light blinking and the cruise control not working. The poster later determined that his brake light switch was bad, swapped the switch and fixed the problem. There are multiple components to the cruise control system and you need to systematically eliminate what's working from what is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom