HDJ81 with OME springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried out the 851/860 OME spring setup and have got to say, I was pretty disappointed with the amount of rake I ended up with. I realize the 1HD-FT is a little heavier than the 1FZ, but I wasn't quite expecting it to be raked out quite this much. The truck is stock except for 35's.

Here are the before/after fender heights, in inches:

Stock:
Front: 36 Each side
Rear: 35.5 Each side

851/860
FR 36.75 (+0.75)
FL 37.25 (+1.25)
RR 39.5 (+4.00)
FL 39.75 (+4.25)

Questions:

FZJ-80 owners - was your truck raked out with this setup? By how much?
Is anyone running small spacers on the L or R side to even things out? Mine is RHD, so that may be a factor.
HDJ81 owners - what setups are you running to achieve 2-3" lift? It sounds crazy but I'm almost considering a spacer lift as I feel like it'll be more even. I'm not looking for anything too tall since I need to be able to fit the cruiser in my garage.

With the OME springs and stock height:

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

Last edited:
PO did the lift on my JDM, so I'm not certain but I can get some measurements and pics for you.

I went with the 850J springs in front as recommended by Cruiser Outfitters because of the diesel engine (and I added bumper and winch). I'm within 1/2" of level and about 3.5" from my old factory springs. Maybe give them a call?

PXL_20220117_210900165.MP(1).jpg

My FZJ came with 850J & 863J springs, and is unloaded & no bumpers/etc. They used 2” metaltech spacers up front, and I’m nearly perfectly even on all 4 corners. The lift was put on in ~2012, so it’s as settled as it ever will be. I’ve been considering replacing the rears with non-J to drop an inch, and then changing the spacers.

Since OME is tuned for expedition & assumed weight, I assume that’s why rears are higher with an unloaded truck, and also why they’re known to be stiff. Personally I like it stiffer, but I’m not crawling or driving harsh roads.

Last edited:
Nothing practical to add but I certainly think your rig looks good!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom