HDJ81 vz HZJ77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just curious what the main differences are between these two trucks. I havent seen very many HZJ77 for sale.. but lots of HDJ's

Some items im curious about:

Price differences? Drive train differences? pro's? cons?

Colin

100% I choose a 80 series .. in your case 81 are a better on road/off road rig .. but just my opinon.

With many diferences I thought ( and not sure ) 77 come with 1HZ and 81 can come with 1HD-T turbo engine .. with more HP

My opinion: HDJ bigger, HZJ cooler :cool:

HDJ coil-overs on all 4 corners; HZJ coils front, springs rear.
HDJ turbo; HZJ normally aspirated.
1HD-T not N.A. engine; 1HZ N.A. mine truck engine
HDJ some parts interchange with N.A. models FZJ80, Lexus 470; HZJ....nope.

That's the extent of my knowledge. Folks correct me if I'm wrong!

Robin

HZJ is a bit more industrail than the HDJ. Also it is 24 volt elec. NATO spec (work truck vs family SUV) Price is somewhat comparalbe as there aren't as many good HZJ on the market as HDJ's If you like the BJ74 stlye than you'll like the HZJ.

the 81 is a sweet ass rig, no doubts but some seem to think of a "mall Queen" when they see one.
the 77 is a eye catcher for sure, they both have lots of room inside, once the full leaf front and rear suspension is tweaked they both ride very nice.
the 81 is more powerfull till you turbo the HZJ77 then the 77 is very powerfull.
they both share the same front and rear diffs.
i have driven many HDJ81s and a couple HZJ equiped trucks, NA the HZ is an okay engine. the HDJ81 is heavier than the 77, in the end you won't go wrong with either unit and it comes down to personal preference.

cheers

mjohn7 said:
HZJ is a bit more industrail than the HDJ.
what makes you feel that this is the case?
cheers

I've only had my HZJ77 a couple of weeks but initial impressions are favourable. Maybe not as nice on the highway as the HDJ81 (which I have only driven once) but it's big step up from my old 84 BJ60. Plus I do like that 70's look in a wagon

hzj77_1.jpg

It's got enough power for our Kootenay roads but seems a little heavy on diesel (@15+ liters/100km). But I really got to put a few more thousand km's on it before I get a feel for the truck.

So far, so good!

Big thanx to Marko from Outback! (and to Wayne and others for some great advice).

Michael

Michael:

Have you taken the resonator off yet?? I'm curious if others will experience the same increase in power that I did.

Good lookin rig, BTW - we'll have to get together when I take my next trip down your way.

Jim

MICKruiser said:
It's got enough power for our Kootenay roads but seems a little heavy on diesel (@15+ liters/100km). But I really got to put a few more thousand km's on it before I get a feel for the truck.

Michael

Micheal, gorgeous truck. Same paint scheme as my LJ78, but of course you've got the coveted HD front clip.

Whereabouts are you in the Kootenays? My family has a cabin at Gray Creek, and I hope to get up to do some wheeling this spring/summer.

Cheers and congrats on your 77.

Robin

Jim_Hbar said:
Michael:

Have you taken the resonator off yet?? I'm curious if others will experience the same increase in power that I did.

Good lookin rig, BTW - we'll have to get together when I take my next trip down your way.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm not as handy as you with the tools so I had a custom exhaust put on before I got the truck delivered. But it seems to breath real well past 3000 rpm. I just have to learn how to use the auto transmission to get the most power out of the engine!

Look forward to seeing your rig, especially with all the cool modifications.

Michael

light_duty said:
Micheal, gorgeous truck. Same paint scheme as my LJ78, but of course you've got the coveted HD front clip.

Whereabouts are you in the Kootenays? My family has a cabin at Gray Creek, and I hope to get up to do some wheeling this spring/summer.

Cheers and congrats on your 77.

Robin

Thanks Robin!

70 wagons are nice looking rigs! Especially when I have a color coordinated kid standing next to it.

I looked at the LJ's (we have one for sale in the local Toyota dealer) but the Kootenays are mountainous, lots of lovely long and steep hills, both on and off the highway. So I decided a little extra power would be a good thing to have.

I'm in Nelson, the coffee capital of the Kootenays. Look forward to seeing your rig!

Michael

MICKruiser said:
It's got enough power for our Kootenay roads but seems a little heavy on diesel (@15+ liters/100km).
Michael

Thats awful mileage...time to start looking at why. That converts to 15 us miles per gallon or 18 imp miles per gal.

Not great. Look at injector servicing, brakes dragging, breathing resrtictions, possible gearing too high(high rpm).

So guys, what should get with a 1hz powered truck....I would think mid 20s or high 20s.

Friend of mine has a Tahoe with a 350, works his mileage out to 15 liters per 100kms, but he can tow a huge trailer......

your mileage isn't right. Or why buy a 1hz vehicle. Gas is cheaper than diesel.

Sorry to depress ya, BB

brownbear said:
Thats awful mileage...time to start looking at why. That converts to 15 us miles per gallon or 18 imp miles per gal.

Not great. Look at injector servicing, brakes dragging, breathing resrtictions, possible gearing too high(high rpm).

So guys, what should get with a 1hz powered truck....I would think mid 20s or high 20s.

Friend of mine has a Tahoe with a 350, works his mileage out to 15 liters per 100kms, but he can tow a huge trailer......

your mileage isn't right. Or why buy a 1hz vehicle. Gas is cheaper than diesel.

Sorry to depress ya, BB

Hey BB,

How can i be depressed? I drive a Landcruiser!

But seriously, I'm going to give it some time before I get too concerned. I need to go through a couple of tanks in order to get a better idea of the mileage.

I've heard anywhere from 10.5 - 16 liters / km depending on the kind of driving but that's also info from some much newer hz's. I imagine they've been tweaked some in the last fifteen years.

Michael

ps: I would like to know what other first year HZ's with automatics are getting though!

my 1997 HZJ75, 4.11, 35" boots, turbo, propane injection, at 95 km/hr was 25 mpg...
cheers

mind if i ask what you ended up paying for your 77??

MICKruiser said:
I've only had my HZJ77 a couple of weeks but initial impressions are favourable. Maybe not as nice on the highway as the HDJ81 (which I have only driven once) but it's big step up from my old 84 BJ60. Plus I do like that 70's look in a wagon

hzj77_1.jpg

So far, so good!

Big thanx to Marko from Outback! (and to Wayne and others for some great advice).

Michael

We should get together sometime.
I am in Cranbrook.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
nickw said:
We should get together sometime.
I am in Cranbrook.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I want to stay clear of Cranbrook, at least till I find DOT/SAE glass for my rear lights. :D

I'm in Nelson.

Michael

ps: like your new bullbar and winch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom