HDJ81 slow wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 91 HDJ81, and the wipers have moved slowly since purchase. It has fresh blades, the wiper motor has just been replaced. With wiper arms detached, the motor sounds normal and speed varies with switch input as expected. With wiper arms on, it moves at a crawl. I replaced the motor initially because i suspected it was just weak. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas on how to get the wipers moving fast enough to see in the rain?

I have the same issue with my HDJ81, I bought some Griots Garage glass polish to try and smooth out the surface and I'll report back.

any updates? i have new blades on and its shuddering
The blades shuddering across the glass can be based on the type of blade (brand).

I use Rain-X in my windshield washer mix and it helps with keeping it clean.

However, if you Rain-X the glass, it will increase the shuddering because it increases the surface tension across the face of the glass (that's what makes the water bead off)

I now use the top of the line Bosch brand wipers and seem to have good luck with those.

A far as slow operation, you can remove the cowl in front of the windshield and lube the moving joints in the with a lithium based spray lube to help loosen things up a bit.

Not sure what is available in your area.

I figured it out! After replacing the motor, replacing blades, etc - the only thing left was the wiper linkage. I put in a new OEM linkage and now everything is smooth as silk. The old one looked quite rusty. It felt smooth when moving it by hand until I had a new one side by side to compare it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom