HDJ81 Road Trip - Detroit, MI to Seattle, WA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Going to be doing a road trip in my HDJ81 from Detroit to Seattle. Looking to hear from other's who have done it in their 80 (or any vehicle) to hear your thoughts/challenges, must see things in my route, toyota things, etc.

Current route is pictured, using "roadtrippers[.]com" to get going on the planning.

I have a platform in the back and the standard tools, road trip necessities,etc.

The vehicle itself is in good condition mechanically, the only thing it doesnt have is cruise control, for some reason, NA and EU models got cruise control except for JDM models (question mark????). I plan to just sleep inside the vehicle at National Parks or any areas where overnight parking is allowed.

Side note, I'm looking for 2 items.

- set+spare of TE37x 16x8-25 (or is it -20)? wheels. I'll be selling my SCS F5 16x8-25mm wheels or can trade + cash if you have the TEs
- components to install cruise control

Prior research suggests I will need:

- ANY CC? ECU
- FJ80/HDJ80 actuator
- FJ80/HDJ80 throttle cable (pedal to actuator)
- FJ80/HDJ80 cable (actuator to engine)

Am I missing any components from the list? Will the automatic FJ80 (1990-1992) CC components work for my desired application?

route 1 roady.jpg

Inkedcruisa.jpg

not sure if my stuff will work for you but if you figure out it does i do have an entire CC setup from my 97 fzj i can sell, ecu/actuator/cable i'm in the greater seattle area. have a fun trip!

look into a throttle lock , i use it like a cruise control. crazy horse, Rushmore Devils tower, Buffalo Bills center of the west in Cody, then Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson, Then up to Glacier, over to Kellogg, I-90 to Owens meats, then Blewett pass to Leavenworth, take 2 over stevens pass then down to Seattle.

look into a throttle lock , i use it like a cruise control. crazy horse, Rushmore Devils tower, Buffalo Bills center of the west in Cody, then Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson, Then up to Glacier, over to Kellogg, I-90 to Owens meats, then Blewett pass to Leavenworth, take 2 over stevens pass then down to Seattle.
Dang, sounds like someone has done a similar route more than a couple times. :)

I would concur with this list, if you have the time I would adjust the route and drop down through Yellowstone. You could then take I-15 (IIRC) North and pick your route back up in Montana. Spearfish Canyon in SD is also very pretty and not far of the beaten path if you are going to Mount Rushmore anyway, but make sure it isn't around the time of the Sturgis Rally because that is a driving nightmare. Crazy Horse monument is basically on the backside of Mount Rushmore, I have never seen it finished so not sure at how awe inspiring it would be. When in South Dakota don't miss Wall Drug and the Corn Palace:rofl: (these are jokes).

I would concur with this list, if you have the time I would adjust the route and drop down through Yellowstone. You could then take I-15 (IIRC) North and pick your route back up in Montana. Spearfish Canyon in SD is also very pretty and not far of the beaten path if you are going to Mount Rushmore anyway, but make sure it isn't around the time of the Sturgis Rally because that is a driving nightmare. Crazy Horse monument is basically on the backside of Mount Rushmore, I have never seen it finished so not sure at how awe inspiring it would be. When in South Dakota don't miss Wall Drug and the Corn Palace:rofl: (these are jokes).
it's a good trip every few years, Crazy Horse is still under construction so it's neat to track its progress in the family photo album.

I'd also pack a set of tire chains for the rear just in case chain controls over the mountain passes require them, even if you have M&S tires with the snow symbol. Oh, and learn how to install them on your driveway first! Midwest does a great job of clearing snow/ice right after it snows. However, in the West, this isn't always the case on high mountain passes so always be prepared for the worst when going over them.

It goes w/o saying, pack the usual recovery gear like tow straps with hooks (quick pulling out others), shackles, gloves, etc. This isn't a wheeling trip so you won't be needing (hopefully) the usual hardcore recovery gear. You're being a good hooman when you pull someone out of the ditch in the middle of a snow storm.

I always have a reflective safety vest, snow gloves, ski pants in case I need to help out someone in a blizzard. No sense getting hit while you're helping someone else out. When I was in my 20s and living in CA/NV area, helping someone put on their tire chains was a something we young dudes did for fun. For lots of folks, they buy the tire chains before hitting the road and have no idea how to install them on the side of the road while getting buzzed by semis. It's an unnerving exeperience for many folks and families.

Oh and have a head lamp attached to the head rest. I'm sure you have one since you'll be camping but have it available for easy access.

Have a great trip.

not sure if my stuff will work for you but if you figure out it does i do have an entire CC setup from my 97 fzj i can sell, ecu/actuator/cable i'm in the greater seattle area. have a fun trip!
Hey, turns out I would need a cruise control actuator from either a diesel truck, or early gas truck with 3fe as per @TurboDennis. I'll keep you in mind for when I eventually purchase the other pieces. Thanks!

Thanks for the input guys! What I can't decide on is where to sleep. Do I just roll into the nearest town from the attraction and sleep inside the cruiser at a rest spot, or do I book a campspot said nearest town; or, do I go into the National Park and sleep there? Of course we have all heard of urban stealth camping (walmart?) but would rather leave that as a last resort..

Thanks for the input guys! What I can't decide on is where to sleep. Do I just roll into the nearest town from the attraction and sleep inside the cruiser at a rest spot, or do I book a campspot said nearest town; or, do I go into the National Park and sleep there? Of course we have all heard of urban stealth camping (walmart?) but would rather leave that as a last resort..
KOA

I'd also pack a set of tire chains for the rear just in case chain controls over the mountain passes require them, even if you have M&S tires with the snow symbol. Oh, and learn how to install them on your driveway first! Midwest does a great job of clearing snow/ice right after it snows. However, in the West, this isn't always the case on high mountain passes so always be prepared for the worst when going over them.

It goes w/o saying, pack the usual recovery gear like tow straps with hooks (quick pulling out others), shackles, gloves, etc. This isn't a wheeling trip so you won't be needing (hopefully) the usual hardcore recovery gear. You're being a good hooman when you pull someone out of the ditch in the middle of a snow storm.

I always have a reflective safety vest, snow gloves, ski pants in case I need to help out someone in a blizzard. No sense getting hit while you're helping someone else out. When I was in my 20s and living in CA/NV area, helping someone put on their tire chains was a something we young dudes did for fun. For lots of folks, they buy the tire chains before hitting the road and have no idea how to install them on the side of the road while getting buzzed by semis. It's an unnerving exeperience for many folks and families.

Oh and have a head lamp attached to the head rest. I'm sure you have one since you'll be camping but have it available for easy access.

Have a great trip.
The chains are definitely a great idea as well as learning to put them before actually hitting the road. Thank you!

Hey @beranekc! I did basically the same trip each way from Seattle to Hamilton (then up to Muskoka) in my '97 JDM HDJ81, Yoshi, last August! I didn't take much time to stop however - spent 6 days on the way there, and 4 days on the way back. I was intending to camp out the back, but only did that one night - ended up needing to keep a quick pace and didn't have the time to plan camping like I wanted to.

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 18.56.00.png

I have a few different tips and tales in no particular order...
  • On route: I threw a picture of my route above; I went southwards first and northwards on the way back. Badlands National Park was incredible, a definite required stop. I was intending to visit Glacier National Park on the way back but had to cut it short. Glacier is the most gorgeous place I've been in the US, tied with Zion and Yosemite. I'm desperate to go back. The other places I went were mostly for staying with friends, not nature stops. Theodore Roosevelt NP was also rather cool, but not as neat as Badlands. Copper Harbor checked the Upper Peninsula and Keewenaw Peninsula box I have always meant to check, although I didn't spend much time there. Overall though I regret not spending more time in Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas just exploring on and off the beaten path.
  • For cruise control: you want to be careful sourcing a JDM cruise control unit, especially for this drive. It seems like they are all locked to maximum ~112kmh (69mph) which definitely won't cut it on the highway for this route. There's two ways around that - one is to use an ECU from a different country (NA ones should work just fine), or there's a modification you can do to the ECU if you are handy at soldering (I documented here: HDJ81 Cruise control top speed - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hdj81-cruise-control-top-speed.104835/page-2#post-14549063). I'm not sure if specifically FJ80 1990-1992 ones would work, I would look through that thread and try doing some searching online.
  • I had just imported my HDJ81 a month and a half previous, and had never driven cross-country before, and had never been in most of these states, so I was pretty nervous. The emptiness of Montana was shocking to me, as well as Wyoming, North Dakota, backwoods Minnesota, and Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I did a lot of preventative work on the truck in that month and a half (like a new radiator and all new coolant hoses). Once I built up some confidence in the truck after the first day, it felt like much smoother going. I largely stuck to interstates where I usually had cell service and felt I could call AAA in a pinch. If I had more prep time I would have identified good JDM Land Cruiser shops along the way (in case of emergencies), packed more tools and spare items, and tried to recruit friends. But I didn't need any of it 😁
  • Your truck looks gorgeous! Love the white with the all-clear indicators up front!

I posted about the trip in my build thread! On the way there: Yoshi the HDJ81 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/yoshi-the-hdj81.1287682/page-3#post-14586400 and on the way back: Yoshi the HDJ81 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/yoshi-the-hdj81.1287682/page-3#post-14595930

If you have other questions happy to answer them here or in DMs 😊

Thanks for the tag @red66toy! Haven't been too active on here the last half-year but managed to catch this one. My thread is long overdue for an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom