HDJ81 Radiator change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have my new genuine replacement radiator coming in today for my auto HDJ81 from Toyota.

Any good guides to removal instructions? I have found guides to this for the petrol version which seems to be a total pain to remove as a lot of other stuff needs to come off. Am hoping the diesel is much easier.

Have done this before on my Auto KZJ78 which did not take more than 2 hours for removal and refit.

I've done both. Process will be the same petrol or diesel
According to me on the HDJ81, there is 4 main bolts and nuts that hold the rad in place - two at the top where the nuts are accessible through the grill, but may be easier if the grill were to be removed and 2 at the bottom where the nuts should be removable from the bottom of the car. The shroud and hoses including ATF ones of course need to be disconnected at the radiator end and whilst it would be a lot easier to remove the fan and shroud perhaps this is not completely necessary although I will remove them as I will be replacing the belts at the same time.

I do not see the need to remove the batteries and trays or lights as has been suggested on the petrol model forum discussions. Or am I wrong?

'93, gas, single battery -I found that I can't get the shroud out with the battery tray still in place. And undoing the lights makes it easier to get to those front bolts for the radiator.

So I managed to swap the radiator by removing only the fan, shroud and grille. Wobbly extension plus a flexi socket extension was essential. Around 2-3 hours for the whole job. But this may have been easier for me as the trays for the batteries have been modified by a previous owner and may be just that bit smaller than the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom