HDJ81 not starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do both batteries show 12volts when tested under load?
Have someone read the voltage while it is starting.

Have seen many a battery show 12v when resting, but hit the starter and the load drops voltage to 9 or worse. Indicates a dead cell in the battery

I have the cap off the starter relay, manually activating it: pressing it to complete the circuit. It does this on it's own when given 12v directly, but just not via key. I'll have batteries tested

I haven't no, relay tests fine.. is the starter relay 24v specific or is it pretty generic?

I just checked battery voltage on both batteries while someone tried starting it, 12.5 consistent.

It is not unusual for ignition switch contacts to go bad.
Remove the ignition switch and short the start contacts.
If it works, you have a bad ignition switch.

I haven't no, relay tests fine.. is the starter relay 24v specific or is it pretty generic?

I just checked battery voltage on both batteries while someone tried starting it, 12.5 consistent.

I would guess 12v but not sure.
If it actuates when you put 12 volt to it, it's not likely the problem. It sounds likely the problem is upstream, such as ignition switch as suggested, or a loose connection or broken wire somewhere

It is not unusual for ignition switch contacts to go bad.
Remove the ignition switch and short the start contacts.
If it works, you have a bad ignition switch.

I do get 12vat the NSS when key is turned to start, which made me rule out the switch. Should I still check?

Well I've gotten nowhere, so i've pulled the trigger on the "nuclear option": I ordered a 12v starter 2.5kw (28100-17010) and a 2nd battery isolator kit. I'll miss the quick 24v start but I don't want to wait a month for a new expensive voltage converter timer and don't camp in severe cold. I'll start a new thread on 12v conversion if I have any questions - but I believe the starter and isolator kit are all I need (correct me if i'm wrong!)

Howdy yall, just thought I would post - 12v conversion went well, starts every time now leading me to be pretty convinced I did have a bad voltage converter timer.

I made the below EWD for my own organization of the conversion, thought it may be useful for others. If you have an FSM its basically copying HD80 layout.

If you're researching the conversion as well, there is some info that isn't really confirmed = I didn't touch alternator terminal L, didn't touch the voltage converter timer nor the hold relay. I moved all fusible links to starter battery, removed the 24v solenoid, grounded terminal E, and put the 2 green wires and 1 white wire that are leftover from solenoid removal all connected together, and followed EWD for the rest. Starting and charging great now! Took about 4 hours, bulk of which was getting starter swapped.

HDJ81 12v Conversion.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom