HDJ81 / HZJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok Land Cruiser scholars and trivia experts...

A sum total of approx 85,000 HDJ81 & HZJ81 Cruisers were built between May 1989 and Jan 1998, primarily for Euro market (I think...); certainly none for North America. (These were in addition to the more common HDJ80 & HZJ80.)

What is (was) it? (This is not a test - I do not have the answer...)

Thanks all, Ron

Ok Land Cruiser scholars and trivia experts...

A sum total of approx 85,000 HDJ81 & HZJ81 Cruisers were built between May 1989 and Jan 1998, primarily for Euro market (I think...); certainly none for North America. (These were in addition to the more common HDJ80 & HZJ80.)

What is (was) it? (This is not a test - I do not have the answer...)

Thanks all, Ron

I'll check at home, but my guess is trim level(or barn doors)......I know the answer.....it's on the tip of my.......

Here is an HDJ81

Another disproving the barn door theory.

Are those shinny wheels part of the package. :puke:

It is just me or do the rear sliding windows look a bit different.

Yes, they are different. There is a horizontal bar that transits the center of the window opening. Those are present in vehicles that do not have the third seat pkg. They are intended to protect the windows from cargo inside the vehicle. Also, they do not have the privacy tint.

The tire carrier is a factory unit. Whoever blipped out the rear plate also obscured the nifty factory plate mount that would be dandy with a Slee rear carrier set-up.

The back side Windows are the same as my Farthers FZJ80R that is an 8 Seater, All Australian 80 Series had the Spare Tyre under the back.

That is not a UK spec or European spec Landcruiser.

There is one clue that no one else has commented on - the little mirror on the front wing (see pic). We get a lot of Japanese 4x4 imports (right hand drive - emphasis on RIGHT) they are easily identified by the small mirror on the front of the left wing (fender ) I've also seen an imported Landcruiser from Japan with the spare on the back - like this one - and the little mirror.

My guess this was for the Japanese market - maybe not exclusively - but they definately sold them there.

Cheers, Jim

Just noticed that this vehicle is Right Hand Drive - again, points to the Japanese market.

It's not clear where the steering wheel is, but you can tell from the wipers that it is RHD...

Jim

Good eyes, Jim. The little mirror is a Japanese requirement. I have some Domestic Japanese sales literature and all the vehicles pictured have the additional mirror. The window bars are also visible in the same photos. In addition, both rear door styles are depicted.

AKAIK the bars over the rear side windows are a Japan spec deal. I have seen US spec 80s without the rear sliding windows and no rear seat(no flares and chrome wheels as well) they do not have the bar.

Japanese spec 55's and 60(maybe 62) all had the bars across the rear windows. Some even had a cargo barrier type deal as standard(or optional)

for LOTS of Japanese spec 80(and others) check out
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...uc&p=land+cruiser&auccat=0&alocale=0jp&acc=jp

or Yahoo Auction Japan. The use Bablefish to translate to english

I'm still stumped on the 80/81 deal, havn't looked to hard yet. It might be as simple as right or left drive but I don't think so.

John

All the 80's I've seen for sale in Japan are HDJ81's.

Other observations of no particular value.

1. It has a Borla "looking" exhaust.
2. It has the old style rear bumper
3. The placement of the Toyota logo on the rear is like the 91-95's for the NA market. It was centered on the rear hatch for 97 (and 96?)
4. It has the pre-95 front grill w/TOYOTA. I believe that grill was only on Japanese spec trucks after 1994.
5. The sign in the window says "FOR SALE" in English, implying the truck is not in Japan.
6. We have proven that a picture is worth a thousand words.

-B-

The Japanese grille changed the same time the US grille did. I believe that vehicle is a 93 as it has the larger flares and white letters on the rear mud flaps. That was the only year with that flap/flare combo.

'97 was the year for the emblem movement to the center of the upper gate.

Thanks all for your comments.

>> We have proven that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Yea, thou has spoken a great truth, Beo...

However...

The truck pictured is for sale on a Japanese web site (there are signs visible in the background in Japanese), it has a prod date of 3/93, is designated as S-HDJ81V <HDJ810034594> (Dan, the clue is here...), is a VX-LTD model, and they want 1,198,000 Yen for it.
FWIW, there is also a '93 FZJ80R VX-LTD - E-FZJ80G - (also dark green), and there are no remarkable differences in appearance, except for the non-OEM stuff.

So folks, back to my original question: What is the difference between the HDJ80/81 and HZJ80/81 ? I knew this one would be challenging...

R -

Take a look at your own VIN #, it does not say fzj80 it says DJ81 or HJ85 or something like that. This "might" be an explanation...or it might not be ;)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom