hdj81 hitch install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I install a regular 80 series hitch on my 81?

I can't imagine it would be any different, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks

James

I too would like to know. I phoned the Hitch Shop here in Calgary and was quoted $350 installed. Wiring would be $80.

I will be picking up the hitch and doing the install myself.

If you beat me to it let me know how it goes.

I got a pintle/2" ball for mine.
About $125 from princess auto.
Got mine local and paid $150

Just make sure you get the proper grade of bolt.

Wiring kit I got from lordco for $50
They did not have any "plug and play" ones for the 80 series.

Cheers,
Nick

4 WHEEL AUTO WHOLESALE has a bumper hitch that is very strong and nicely finished.

I got a Hoppy plug'n'play wiring kit at Speedy Car Parts. The connectors were not an exact fit; the pins lined up correctly, but the connectors needed some trimming. It went in fairly easily and works well.

G'luck, -Steve

An 80 series hitch will fit, unless you have an enlarged exhaust or modified muffler, in which case it will still fit, with some modification (minor welding and cutting). That's what was done on my friend Dave's truck. The added cost wasn't all that much, either.

wussyPup said:
4 WHEEL AUTO WHOLESALE has a bumper hitch that is very strong and nicely finished.

I got a Hoppy plug'n'play wiring kit at Speedy Car Parts. The connectors were not an exact fit; the pins lined up correctly, but the connectors needed some trimming. It went in fairly easily and works well.

G'luck, -Steve

Is the bumper hitch rated for towing? Are you using it for towing? And if so how much weight?

Thanks!

nickw said:
I got a pintle/2" ball for mine.
About $125 from princess auto.
Got mine local and paid $150

Just make sure you get the proper grade of bolt.

Wiring kit I got from lordco for $50
They did not have any "plug and play" ones for the 80 series.

Cheers,
Nick

So did you mount that to the bumper like the one from 4wheelauto?

JDMGoodness said:
I too would like to know. I phoned the Hitch Shop here in Calgary and was quoted $350 installed. Wiring would be $80.

I will be picking up the hitch and doing the install myself.

If you beat me to it let me know how it goes.

I will def. let you know how it goes if I get to it first . . . how much is just the hitch and what brand is it?

Thanks!

jrhaze said:
So did you mount that to the bumper like the one from 4wheelauto?

Take a look underneath an 80.
Thats not the bumper at the back. Its the frame. :)
The pintle/ball and the one from 4wheelauto attach directly to the frame.
At least on the 80 series anyways.

Cheers,
Nick

jrhaze said:
Is the bumper hitch rated for towing? Are you using it for towing? And if so how much weight?

I don't know if it is rated for towing, but it is very heavy duty - 4 Wheel Auto is in Edmonton too; drop by and take a look at one.

I have used it for towing approx 2,000 lb boat, and would use it without hesitation for upto 3,500 lb. Above that weight I'd want to consider load equalizing hitch and anti-sway bars.

The rear bumber on an 80 series is more of a cover for the rear frame cross members than a bolt on piece. These hitches bolt through two rear frame cross members that combine to make a "K" shape, see sketch below.
Code:
-----------
     \    |
      \   |
       \  |
        \ |
         ||
        / |
       /  |
      /   |
     /    |
-----------

I'm not worried about using it for mostly straight pulls (e.g. trailer applications) but would be uncomfortable about using it for sharp side angle pull recovery applications.

-Steve

nickw said:
Take a look underneath an 80.
Thats not the bumper at the back. Its the frame. :)
The pintle/ball and the one from 4wheelauto attach directly to the frame.
At least on the 80 series anyways.

Cheers,
Nick

I know, but I've read that these units are NOT rated for towing, and was more or less looking for some real world info, which you guys have given me . . . thanks!!

I belive Toyota rated the gas 80's sold in the US for 7500lbs.

The guys in England and Oz are rated for 3500 kg.
Which works out to 7700lbs.

Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
I belive Toyota rated the gas 80's sold in the US for 7500lbs.

The guys in England and Oz are rated for 3500 kg.
Which works out to 7700lbs.

Cheers,
Nick

Don't think you are talking about the bumper.......

The truck might be rated for that, not crossmember.

You need an appropriately rated hitch to pull that kind of weight. Something firmly attached to the frame.

The 4wheel ones are not rated for towing. I'm sure you could tow something around 1k pounds. or more. But in the 80 section they have talked about how damage to this cross member really twists the frame.

This thread is going to get moved there, so those guys can add to it. There was pics on here of a twisted frame from the cross member.

What what is a safe towing amout for an 80 with the rear bumper hitch?
I know hitch itself is rated for 3.5 tons as a ball, and 11 tons as a pintle.
But what about the truck frame/crossmember itself?

I towed a 3300lb trailer about 1500km round trip from Cranbrook BC to near Seattle. No problem and no twisting.

Kinda worried now about future towing.
What is safe? I was going to get some firewood for the winter next weekend.
Trailer I tow is 900lbs empty. I don't even notice the empty trailer back there.
Loaded its probably around 2500lbs. Maybe 3000lbs?
Trailer is rated for 3500lbs.

Cheers
Nick.

BTW: On the back or my truck is a decal rating it for 350kg (770lbs) tongue weight.
I thought that was for the factory hitch.

I dunno what's safe - but I'll stay under 3500 lb and won't use it for recovery.

nickw said:
BTW: On the back or my truck is a decal rating it for 350kg (770lbs) tongue weight.
I thought that was for the factory hitch.

I thought that was a rating for internal cargo capacity (people, pets and junk) and was used as part of their road tax/licensing formula; dunno where I got that idea.

Where's MOT? Please help us MOT!

-Steve

I phoned around today and was quoted $225 cash and carry. The brand they said was either Valley Industries or Kurt(Curt?).

I also was looking for a Hidden Hitch for a Forerunner that was tubular. I scribbled down so many options I can't remember what name she said for what.

As for the factory crossmember I have a 2" ball attached to a bracket. The ball is rated for 2000#. Here is a picture.

It came with the truck. I will not tow anything heavier than 1000# with it. If you are going to tow get a proper hitch. It's not worth the possible trouble. I want to tow a 15-20ft boat with it. I also want a hitch point that I can rely on for side pulls if needed.

It's just a matter of which one doesn't look like ass. I am not worried about losing too much ground clearance. Maybe if it was stock height I would be concerned.

I'll see what the hitch looks like when it arrives.

dude, as far as wireing goes, it is VERY simple. we intall it for 60 bucks at work. it is a rip. anyone with a decent brain and plyers/screwdriver can do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom