HDJ81 cooling fan roaring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The fan on my 1HDT has been getting more and more loud. Ambient temps are not much above freezing here lately, but the fan is pushing a LOT of air. The engine sounds like an old Willys with that characteristic fan roar.

I can fairly easily spin the fan by hand when cold. When it is hot, the fan has more resistance but still spins. I'm thinking that the clutch is not working properly. I get no overheat conditions, but I'm convinced that this problem is causing my engine to take excessively long to reach operating temperature.

I don't like the roaring sound - it gets really annoying at higher rpms.

Always roaring, or just after startup?

Always roaring.

My old Pathfinder would have a roaring fan immediately after start up that would quiet down after 10-20 seconds. And it was obvious when it was engaged when the engine was hot.

My LC has never had the startup roar-then-quiet cycle. It is almost like a fixed-drive fan.

Maybe someone filled it with regular oil. Sounds wrong, I'd pull it off and attempt a refurbish or replace it.

sounds like fan clutch needs replacing or "rebuilding"..

Never really notice my fan running... time to get up close & personal w clutch :rolleyes:

If your fan is spinning it freely by hand, then it means the clutch is dry, and needs to be refilled with silicone viscous fluid, it should have a fair bit of resistance. I had mine done recently at ATEB. They said to fill it up, but not too full, and leave some room for expansion. Here are some other links I found, or google Toyota clutch fan.

Here are the instructions:

Cooling Fan Clutch Rehab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom