1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDJ81 Alternator Belts Replacement - need instructions

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by podiev, Feb 28, 2007.

1. podiev

podiev

Am planning to replace the A/C and Alternator Belts this weekend on my HDJ81. I bought already the belts from a local Toyota dealer.

Am familiar already with replacing the A/C belt when I had the A/C serviced last year. But for the dual Alternator belts, can somebody post pics/FSM instructions on how to replace them?

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Ist you remove the aircon belt ,then you slacken the adjustment screw on the top of the alternator.
    Then get underneath and loosen the big nut and bolt that holds the alternator in its bracket.
    You should now able to push the alternator towards the engine at the top and the belts will go loose and come off.

Before you do all this spray something on the bolts and adjusting screw a few days before to make them easier to turn.
    There is not much room under there,so choose the right tools.
    I used a ratchet spanner and socket with an extension,and a ring spanner and what ever the adjusting screw takes.

Put it back together in reverse order. Dont over tighten the belts. I guess they should have 5-10mm easy movement in them with your fingertips.
    Check them a week later and readjust if they have stretched

3. podiev

podiev

thanks a lot!!

4. jcolvin

jcolvin

Media:
    Albums:
    I found it helps to take off the skidplate under the engine, makes it easier to get at the alt bolts.