HDJ81/1HD-t Died on highway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, on my 74-mile commute home I was doing around 75 and just started to lose power and could barely keep it running so I pulled over and turned it off. after checking under the hood all seemed fine. it was hard to start back up and was really Smokey, but it started and still had almost no power I limped it off the highway where it died again. After another restart and a bunch of smoke out of the exhaust it went 100% back to normal. I drove it the 5 or 6 miles home and all was 100% normal. I popped the hood and the oil dip stick was popped out and oil was everywhere. I put it back in and restarted it and drove it around and absolutely nothing was wrong. no loss in power no more smoke then normal. I took off the oil cap and no smoke or pressure was coming out so that all seemed fine.

so, it’s a 1991 HDJ81 1hd-t 230,000km engine is stock with BEB’s and timing belt done around 50,000km’s ago with a straight exhaust on stock boost. recently I did fit a Provent 200 catch can which seems to be working fine and collecting oil but would likely be the only culprit as nothing else has changed.

Question is, has anyone ever experienced this before?

Is the provent clear or is it plugged inside? that would be the first thing I would be looking at.

I opened it up and everything appeared to be clear. I had to check and make sure I didn’t install it backwards, but it’s correct. I’ll remove it tomorrow and make sure it’s clear.

Is the provent plumbed back into the intake tube pre-turbo? I'd pull that intake tube between the air filter and turbo off and see if it's full of oil or something. Air filter is clean?

So after dismantling the Provent i found a gasket was pinched in the sprung baffle not allowing it to open hence not allowing pressure to escape the block which caused the dip stick to blow out. Hopefully no other seal were harmed from this. no oil leaks yet....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom