HDJ81 1HD-T ->Can Turbo Failure Lead to Engine Failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, got a 1990 HDJ81 5 speed 1HD-T, 320k km. First off, a few months ago I was driving to work and I noticed a whistle coming from my turbo, (at least I think it was my turbo), that was quite different from the usual turbo whine. Not real loud but very high, constant pitch heard over the engine even while driving easy on flat grade. The power didn't seem to suffer so TBH I sorta forgot about it.
Jump forward to last week, driving down the highway and PZZWOOFF! strange whistle wind down sound kinda like a firework that blows the side of the cardboard instead of shooting up. The engine shuts off instantly and for the first time in my life, my HDJ left me stranded, yes, obviously I share the blame in this but a sad day nonetheless :p
Anyway, disconnected the turbo intake and lots of dirty oil residue in the pipes. Tried to start the beast with intake off and it gave the wretched sound like the engine is out of time. Checked the TDC timing of the cam/pump/crank and all are on the mark. I'm starting to get very scared. At least the engine isn't seized, only down 1/2 litre of oil and lots of anti-freeze in the rad, anyone have experience similar to this one? Thnx in advance..

HDJ81.jpg

If chunks of broken impeller wheel went through the intake and into the engine, yes if can damage the engine. You don't happen to have an intercooler, do you?

Sounds like the engine has eaten a bunch of oil at least and maybe the turbo. Can you inspect the turbo compressor and see if it's intact?

Thanks guys, no intercooler. I'll be taking the turbo off today and having a look. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst

You can cut open and check the Oil filter if the impeller grenaded. Best case, no debris and turbo rebuild. Worst case, Full rebuild as more than likely #6 will be scored. Compression or leak down test will confirm.

First time for me resulted in a full rebuild. Second time I shut her down within 15 seconds due to smoke from the exhaust. Only needed a new turbo. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
I have repaired them when they ate the turbo.

If chunks didn’t enter the engine, you are all good. Carefully tear it down and see if you can find all the chunks, put them back together like a puzzle for piece of mind.

Your turbo housing may have taken damage though. Or maybe not, tear it down and see.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom