HDJ80 smoking (white) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1HD-T smoke (white) most of the time. Will decrease when warm but won't go away. It's a clean engine and was imported from Japan about a year ago. It has 170,000k on it (sat around for a long time). It also uses motor oil. There is oil in the intake after the the valve cover breather. Any suggestions.

Thank,

Peter

Turbo seals? Many trucks imported from Japan seem to require turbo re-rebuilds despite relative low mileage. The type of driving done in Japan seems to be hard on turbos. Cheers, Tony

Typically white smoke is not enough fuel (just as black smoke is too much).

This is usually the result of timing but since you've got a JDM and no one has likely messed with the timing I would look into your injectors.

Also where are you located? If you are in a colder area you might want to put some anti-gel diesel treatment into your tank. If it mostly goes away when the truck gets warmer it could be because the fuel is warmer.

HTH,
Craig.

Thanks Tony. Your the second to mention that. I think I will explore that avenue.

Is it easy to remove to take to a shop?

I also have to replace the bearings on the crank shaft. I got the bearings from 4wheelauto. Just trying to find the time.

Peter

Tony:

I'm on the coast. Vancouver Island. -2°c to 10°.

I read that it could be low pressure at the injectors. What do you think?

I have an oil catcher between the valve cover breather and air intake. It never fills. The oil goes directly into the intake. Is this caused by the failure of the turbo's carbon seal?

Peter

Peter, been running bio recently, added a fuel system cleaner to your tank, or haven't changed the fuel filter in a while? If so - or even if not - I'd change the fuel filter. It's a lot cheaper than shop time and a clogged filter is one of the more common causes of white smoke.

Its pretty low tech and cheap to tell the difference between smoke caused by motor oil burning and smoke caused by diesel not burning properly - SMELL IT. One smells like diesel and the other smells like your following an older Tercel. You'd need a fair bit of oil coming past the turbo seals into the intake to get oil <blue> smoke.

Last edited:
White smoke is either water or unburned fuel. Oil tends to be blue smoke.
Any particular smell?

Bad injectors can cause the fuel te be badly burnt, creating white/grey-ish smoke.
If the white smoke disappears completely when the engine has warmed could be condensation.
I assume you've checked coolant? However coolant has a distinctive odor.

Never thought of condensation. Might be part of the problem. Once warm the smoke decreases but is still there. It is very damp here on the coast this time of year.

I have a product called Diesel Purge from Molly that I will pick up on monday. I have been told to run it directly through the injector pump which should help the smoke.

I still have to figure why there is oil in the intake beyond the air filter housing coming in through the valve cover breather. Is this a bad seal on the turbo?

Thanks,

Peter

When you say "uses motor oil"... how much? Also, how does it run? (good power, quiet, etc) The smell test is a good one, coolant smells like coolant... diesel smells like diesel ... and oil smells like oil. Obviously if you're going through a litre of oil every, say 800km and you're not leaking any, you're burning it. Rings, valve guides and/or turbo seals can be a source of the oil "supply". If the engine sounds good and has good power but goes through oil, I might investigate the possibility of needing a turbo rebuild. How long have you had the truck, and have you done an oil change? My truck, which I presume is used in more or less the same climate, rarely emits white smoke for more than a few minutes on even the coldest days. A faulty head gasket will cause white smoke that never goes away, but that doesn't explain the oil in the intake. I'm no turbo guru, but substantial amounts of oil in the intake seems to indicate a problem. Good luck, Tony

Last edited:
Never thought of condensation. Might be part of the problem. Once warm the smoke decreases but is still there. It is very damp here on the coast this time of year.

I have a product called Diesel Purge from Molly that I will pick up on monday. I have been told to run it directly through the injector pump which should help the smoke.

I still have to figure why there is oil in the intake beyond the air filter housing coming in through the valve cover breather. Is this a bad seal on the turbo?

Thanks,

Peter

All engines have some blowby (which we can see, and will leave aerosoled oil residue in it's return pathway). The question is how much.

Taking T Stanfords questions into consideration, and dependent on the answers you could do the following:

If you are reasonably assured it is not coolant baseline it first doing the following: Have a valve set done. Change fuel filter. Run two cans of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge (remove intake and return fuel lines and run from a clear container). Change fuel filter. Do an engine flush ala BG products (if you choose), but at least ensure fresh oil/filter. Run it for a while after doing all the above and see what changes. If you still have issues then dig deeper: Compression test, rebuild injectors, turbo rebuild.

Adding to Tapage's thoughts on the water side of things: Drop some oil and send to Cat/Finning for testing. Have the TBN done too. If there is coolant in the oil it will show.

Your connecting rod bearings have been done too; correct?

Last edited:

Thanks,

Peter

valve seals .. oil piston rings ..

valve seals .. oil piston rings ..

If it was strictly city driven, then sat a long time...you are in the right area; or could be a combination of both.

White is normally really retarded timing or maybe a blockage. Which could be caused by anything in the fuel system from injectors to filters to pump timing.

No, I have not done the bearings yet. I have the bearings and bolts but haven't had the time.

I will pick up Diesel purge tomorrow and will run it through the injector pump. If that doesn't help I will check for water in the oil.

Peter

Don't forget Dougals comment. If the easy fixes don't do anything, then look further into the injection system as well.

retarded timing

low compression

If the cam plate is worn in the pump, this can retard the timing. It will also mean that metal from the worn pump is going through the injectors ruining the spray pattern

Blowby = oil loss through turbo and into manifold which helps gum up the rings even more, lowering your compression more, etc etc.

Hope that helps

Still trying to figure the smoke from my 1HD-T. I'm burning a liter of oil every 500K. Lots of smoke. It doesn't look blue but must be. Its got to be the carbon seal in the turbo. Getting poor power and gas mileage is up and down.

Is it easy to pull the turbo to get it to a rebuilt shop?

I'm going to replace the rod bearings at the same time. Is there anything I should know when changing the bearing. Is it easy as everyone says?

Thanks,

Peter
P1000233.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom