HDJ80 maintenance and modification thread - another one... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking about keeping this private and then I figured, I might as well share in my endeavors as I go, as well as keep track of what I did and when... So I finally got my 1995 HDJ80 delivered from the Canary Islands. It is a manual for the 2nd owner, with all 3 diff locks, sunroof, cloth seats and 440000 kms. The interior is very good, as is the engine and the body. However, it has quite a bit of maintenance backlog, as not much was done to it in the last 10 years or so, except for the most crucial points. This is what it looked like:

20221007_201301.jpg

I had Toyota in the Canaries do the most pressing issues, but there is still quite a list of things that need to be done. Here is what has been done at that time:
  • General revision:
    • Replace engine oil and filter
    • Replace air filter
    • Replace fuel filter
    • Replace gas filter
    • Replace windshield wipers front and back
    • Replace oil pressure sensor
  • Complete brake replacement front and back with Toyota discs, pads and fluid
  • Remove, rebuild and re-install the OEM turbo charger
  • Replace the L+R front window sub assembly (scissor mechanism)
  • Replace left front door weather stripping
  • Replace left front door rubber moulding
  • Re-upholster the steering wheel in light grey leather
When it got here (Germany) it was winter and the installed summer tires were in bad shape, so I had them replaced by:
  • General Grabber AT2 - 285/75 x 16
There is more to come, but I am waiting for the registration to complete and the I will go forward with the rest, which will include replacing all bushings, installing an OME package +50mm, installing a 3" exhaust, replacing some bearings around the rear diff, replacing the high pressure steering hose, installing a new A/C compressor and a complete front axle overhaul including new birfs. That should deplete my bank account for now. After that, I will focus on making it into an overland vehicle. That is the plan... Here is how it sits now:

y4mPiof1TxddLlKlBHm3SnwEz7lZiz4HzQUKEpBoG_A2LutAbjwQRKqc6701S-aJ2KUXFQYxgnjY66ScZmyHvVS2Hc-7vJ...jpg

For starters, nice rig. 👍
Secondly, looks like you have a great start on prelim maintenance.
Not sure a 3" exhaust is necessary but maybe a diesel sage can chime in on that.
May want to post in the diesel section, if no other reason than to be amongst diesel fans and gurus. At least for diesel specific help in those areas.
p.s. the chrome roof rack...now you're just showin' off. lol :cheers:

For starters, nice rig. 👍
Secondly, looks like you have a great start on prelim maintenance.
Not sure a 3" exhaust is necessary but maybe a diesel sage can chime in on that.
May want to post in the diesel section, if no other reason than to be amongst diesel fans and gurus. At least for diesel specific help in those areas.
p.s. the chrome roof rack...now you're just showin' off. lol :cheers:
Thanks 😉

The 3" exhaust sounds good and makes it easier to breathe for the engine. Necessary - probably not 😎

The chrome roof rack will go. In favor of an actually usable one.

Maybe I will repost in the diesel section as well. Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers !

Guten Tag! Congratulations on your acquisition! Great looking rig. Is it a 12 or 24 valve? Keep us updated on the progress.

Guten Tag! Congratulations on your acquisition! Great looking rig. Is it a 12 or 24 valve? Keep us updated on the progress.
Thank you ! It is the 24 valve. Runs bery well 😉 I will update my signature line to reflect the 24V 👍

3" exhaust is a massive performance increase without doing anything else, I'd say it's a mandatory mod 😅

3" exhaust is a massive performance increase without doing anything else, I'd say it's a mandatory mod 😅
Thanks for reenforcing my hopes of getting it to go a bit better. Snorkel and tweaking the pump should round off the upgrade.

Sooo...today I thought I'd fix the left front window outer belt moulding. The shop put it on and did a s***ty job since none of the clips were in their holes. Now it is in as it should, but as the on the inner side the moulding was also missing and the door handle was binding, I decided to take off the inside door panel to find out what went on there. This is what I found
20230310_105726.jpg

Somebody was in here already and did not bother to cover his tracks... So I pulled off all the plastic and ordered new ones from Japan. The door panel card is also in bad condition from water damage, cracking and the top plastic portion is completely shot at the front. So, I think I am going to look for some new door panels. If anyone knows of any in grey leather that can be sent to Germany, let me know.

The good thing was, though, that I found out the cables for the front door speakers are included in the standard wiring.
20230310_111803.jpg

At least, I think the white plug is for the speakers. That makes installing a better audio system easier at a later point. Not sure what the green/white, which was cut, used to be for. Chime in if you have a clue 😉

Other than that, I removed the seat belt due to sticking. Will re-install tomorrow and brief on the (hopefully smoothly retracting) result.

Cheers ! 🍺🍺

I think, now that I have plenty access, I will put some sound deadening on the outer skin as well. Should make a difference and since I have some Kilmat lying around, I will put in the effort.

Any thoughts ?

When you choose the front door speakers, keep in mind that those have to be very shallow so the window mechanism fits behind it. There are threads on it on mud which ones can fit.

Also, the new seal for the door comes without the black sticky matterial, so best if you source that also as the old one is not really re-usable.

If the door is anyway apart, great moment to clean the window run from all the dirt, helps with the sticky/ weak window mechanism ! :)

When you choose the front door speakers, keep in mind that those have to be very shallow so the window mechanism fits behind it. There are threads on it on mud which ones can fit.

Also, the new seal for the door comes without the black sticky matterial, so best if you source that also as the old one is not really re-usable.

If the door is anyway apart, great moment to clean the window run from all the dirt, helps with the sticky/ weak window mechanism ! :)
Thanks - I ordered some Polk DB652 speakers, like in other threads where it worked well. I want to have the door finished when I close it up. The speaker is part of it.

Thanks for the headsup about the sticky stuff. Ordered some 👍

The window runs and mechanism will be cleaned and lubed, as advised 😉

I put the seat belt back where it belongs and the result is surprising.

I gave the spring 2 more turns, Dremeled out the plastic where the seat belt goes down to the mechanism and put some Teflon tape on the loop at shoulder heigth.
20230311_095140.jpg

It pulls in like it should now. I am very happy 😉👍

I have to admit, that I neglected my thread a little bit... Too many other things that take priority, unfortunately.

But, I have done quite a bit of work over the last few months. I am still on the doors, but it is a work in progress...

I did get the baselining done:
- replaced the coolant pump and thermostat and flushed the system
- replaced the rest of the oils
- overhauled the front axle with OEM overhaul kit and replacement birfs (very much needed....)
- replaced all suspension bushings and rubbers with new OEM
- replaced the power steering high pressure hose, since it was leaking
- replaced the distibution belt
- replaced all belts and tensioners

Furthermore I had to replace the airconditioning compressor, condenser and evaporater, since the compresser looked like someone had been in there with a drill... Complete mess, but the system is not leaking and the A/C is blowing cold again ! So that was a win.
20230620_193919.jpg

The OEM exhaust was exchanged for an X-Force 3" stainless sytem from the turbo back. Only one silencer in the middle. The turbo is way happier now and the noise is still OK. Maybe a bit loud on the highway, though.

Biggest change, optically and drivability wise, is the installation of the OME suspension. The rig gained about 2" in height and is noticably stiffer on the road - especcially empty. Loaded it drives great though and does not lean back at all.
20230622_110522.jpg

While working on the suspension, the rims were powder coated matte black, in order to get rid of all the flaky clear coat that was on there - and I prefer the black look.

Technically I think it is getting close to getting as good as it gets, without getting out of hand. It is not going to be an ICON rig, but neither is the money spent on it, getting anywhere close to that... I still have to look closer at the steering, since it is waaaay too sloppy, especially going at highway speeds or uneven roads.

Here is how it sits at the moment
20230622_110501.jpg

Next will be finishing the fornt doors, new seats (most likely Recaro) and I am looking for a Safari snorkel, but they are hard to come by these days - at least in Europe.

Once I finish working on the doors I will post up some more pics. Good night everybody !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom