HDJ80 fuel pump modification? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After talking briefly with a mechanic, he mentioned the possibility of increasing the performance/power of my HDJ80 by installing a new rod or modified rod in the fuel pump. We were not able to talk about it for long so I have been trying to find some info on it with no luck. Anyone have any idea what this is about or any good threads about it? Basically it involved a partial pump rebuild and it would be something to consider if I ever had to have the pump rebuilt. I am wary of modifying the pump from original specs but I don't know anything about it. It would be great to get some more out of the truck though.

Yeah I was looking through the pages (and pages and pages). Great info. Doesn't look too bad. And it is good to know the whole pump does not need to come off. Getting a little more responsiveness would be great.

The most important part is setting the spring height for the Android pin to match boost levels. Most seem to be out of adjustment from factory, so upping boost pressure (with a boost controller) and adjusting the spring pressure to match and a slight turn of the Android pin should wake the 1HDT up noticably.

If you’ve got the budget an intercooler is a good option as well (allows a little more boost). Either top mount air/air or water to air are pretty cheap/simple to install and don’t require fabrication skills.

Equally important is upgrading the exhaust although this can be a bit more expensive depending what brand you go for.

The Android pin adjustment seems easy enough. Looking forward to researching that. The intercooler is on the list down the road.

I know I need to read about it, but is it something that is easy enough to get to and adjust? Side of the road kind of thing or do you take it apart and put it back together every time?

Pretty easy to do, just a little fiddly and time consuming. Problem is you need to make a lot of adjustments...

I agree, it's easy enough to do and doable beside the road for sure. Done it many times.

Don't want to discourage anyone, it's just that there's an infinite amount of variables and getting it all humming takes time.

No that's good to know. I don't mind tweaking to get it right. I just wanted to make sure there was not disassembly required every time. Pretty cool to know that it can be adjusted. Between that and having the automatic idle compensation fixed on my AC, I should have a much better ride. Just had my compressor replaced and I never knew there was an idle compensation when the compressor kicked on. I have been using my throttle adjustment under the wheel every time I turned on the AC. What a luxury!:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom