HDJ79 throwing engine code light and going into limp mode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
as the title states, my hdj79 (1hd-fte) is randomly throwing the engine warning light. It is starting to come on more often now, 3 times in 20 minutes driving ect. Shutting off the engine and restarting it after 5 seconds fixes it. Details:

1. Engine has 30,000kms off of a full complete rebuild including the IP
2. Got a bit of water in the engine bay recently, problem started occurring after this
3. The fusible link is just hanging in there, if anyone has the part number I'm keen to know. This is not the problem but, when it is the engine won't run at all
4. Running a DTE chip, Gturbo and a PDI intercooler. I was having issues with the vacuum lines popping off causing the chip to loose it's boost signal, thereby reverting to a stock tune. Fixed the problem by replacing all vacuum hoses with new genuine toyota ones.
5. All wiring connections are good

Any ideas would be appreciated, suspecting the MAP sensor or VSV valve but how do I test these? Willing to replace parts on a 17 year old vehicle, with genuine ones of course. Just out of ideas at the minute.

Any other symptoms - rough running? First things first get the code(s) so you’re not guessing. The code will tell you why the lights on...

If it was untouched I’d say may well be timing control valve wiring but as it’s had a heap of work done it’s most likely related to that

Does she go into 'limp mode' or still run as normal?

Any other symptoms - rough running? First things first get the code(s) so you’re not guessing. The code will tell you why the lights on...

If it was untouched I’d say may well be timing control valve wiring but as it’s had a heap of work done it’s most likely related to that
Not running rough... injectors or IP possibly a little bit noisy but all brand new. Haven't got the IP sheilds on either to fit the IC pipe though there.

How do I get the codes? Pre obd2. 09/01 build running a newer engine, so after 2002. Electrically it's actually pretty stock.
Does she go into 'limp mode' or still run as normal?
Nah, goes into "limp" mode - still runs fine but can't rev the engine above 1000rpm

Short pins 4 and 13 of the DLC3 connector under the dash - it looks like an OBD2 connector. The CEL will Flash, count the blinks. Eg one flash followed by four is code 14. On a 100 if you do it with ign on you get current codes, if you do it with ign off then turn it on you get old codes.

Google DLC3 Pinout to get a picture

P0340) 12 TDC+,TDC- >> Top dead position sensor (Top of pump)
(P0335) 13 NE+,NE- >> Crank sensor (Near Starter motor)
(P1220) 14 TCV >> Timing control valve (Botom of pump)
(P0605) 17 ECU
(P1120) 19 VA,VAS,E2C >> Throtle position sensor
(P1121) 19 IDL,E2C >> Throtle position sensor
(P1122) 19 PDL >> Throtle position sensor
(P1123) 19 PDL >> Throtle position sensor
(P0115) 22 THW >> Water temp sensor
(P0110) 24 THA >> Air temp sensor
(P1670) 32 DATA,CLK (ROM) >> sensor (Side of pump)
(P1420) 33 S/TH >> VSV Intake air
(P1405) 35 MAP >> Map sensor
(P0180) 39 THF >> Fuel temp sensor (Top of Pump)
(P0500) 42 SPD(SP1) >> Speed from Cobination meter
(P1215) 97 EDU,(Spill pump control unit)

Thanks for that, I never understood that. I ran it and it came back with the CEL flashing once then 9 times. I am presuming that is the throttle position sensor? Going by above. I am running a cheap (never again) throttle control unit, will remove it and see what happens. Because the TPS is like a $500 part and I can't find anyone with one in stock in my brief look.

Yep p*ss that throttle controller right off - complete waste of time on an FTE just stamp mash it if you want it to go harder. And it may be the source of your fault code.

Throttle controller problems aren’t that uncommon. People have had good luck cleaning the plugs and or potentiometer (spray contact cleans in/around it, if that fails pull it apart and clean). Obviously - if you can find a scanner to read it you can get the full code and narrow it down more but I’d remove the TC and do a general
Contact cleaning, make sure the plugs are fully seated and see how it goes. Maybe jus the TC at first to isolate it though...

Last edited:
Yep p*ss that throttle controller right off - complete waste of time on an FTE just stamp mash it if you want it to go harder. And it may be the source of your fault code.

Throttle controller problems aren’t that uncommon. People have had good luck cleaning the plugs and or potentiometer (spray contact cleans in/around it, if that fails pull it apart and clean). Obviously - if you can find a scanner to read it you can get the full code and narrow it down more but I’d remove the TC and do a general
Contact cleaning, make sure the plugs are fully seated and see how it goes. Maybe jus the TC at first to isolate it though...
Thanks for your help, I will do that and see how we go. The throttle controller was there to try and reduce the throttle lag but I believe that can be fixed with a pump adjustment. I just haven't dug into that and found the info.

Got a bit of water in the engine bay recently, problem started occurring after this
3. The fusible link is just hanging in there, if anyone has the part number I'm keen to know
Can you pull it apart and dry it out with hot air? The wire is available for fusible links if its the old type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom