HDJ winch to which battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
wondering which battery a winch should be wired up to on an HDJ81... the one on the RHD DS, or the PS one that is blocked off with a note saying ' do not use this battery for jump starting '?

Thanks in advance!

20200627_184834.jpg

You will want to put it on the main cranking battery. This is because the cranking battery is designed to be able to deal with large current draws from the starter when cranking. Whereas a deep cycle battery is designed to be slowly drained over a period of time. Also, the main cranking battery takes most of the charge from the alternator, so charge is replenished quicker. So in your application, the RH side battery.

Good question @Natty, I am about to install a winch on my HDJ81 and I was planning on connecting it to the right hand driver's side (the one with no note or "blocking" as you refer to it). My understanding is that the HDJ81 is a 12v vehicle, but with a 24v starter. The DS and PS batteries are in parallel in all instances EXCEPT for when the starter is engaged, at which point the two batteries are in series. If you winch off the available right hand driver's side battery you should be good to go. It helps a lot that these two batteries are in parallel 99% of the time.

Same thing for jumpstarting, etc...you only want to use the right hand driver's side for these duties. Follow the notice on the passenger side battery and you'll be fine :)

Hope this helps!

well thats what I figured is to go off my DS battery and not the one blocked with the labels.
turns out the PS battery w the yellow labels is the battery that is wired to the starter. Which would make this the main cranking battery would it not?
I wired the winch to the DS battery and it drained the s*it out of my truck under load, all gauges dropped and I had to pin it to keep the rpm up big time...
Just trying to figure out if I need to replace this driver side battery and keep it wired there, or if I've got it wired wrong and I need to wire it to that passenger side battery connected to the starter...
Thanks for the replies guys, any input is greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom