HDJ-81 BEB's finished (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finished my BEB's last night, everything went smoothly.

The bearings came out of the truck looking to be in perfect shape. I assume they've been done already, some of them looked pretty much new. Guess there was only one way to find out though.

The whole procedure is pretty straight forward once you're in there, and the biggest part of the job (to me) was definately dropping the oil pan . . . such a pain to get it off!

And for those that read my thread about 4 wheel auto giving me the wrong bearings, I went in yesterday morning and they fixed me up no questions asked. Great service from the guys there.

All in all I'm glad it's done . . . the peace of mind is definatley worth the hassel. Any one thinking of doing this themselves, it is very doable, I'm definately no mechanic!

Cheers,

James

I'm glad it worked out for you.

So it is fairly simple? What about the plasti-gauge thing? I have an understanding of it but I really don't want to mess anything up.

What was your part list?

How did you tell which BEB's to order?
Did you use OE Toyota filter?
Which oil did you use?

Want to do mine? :)

What did the bearings run you? I'll have to call 4 Wheel Auto and order some.

JDMGoodness said:
I'm glad it worked out for you.

So it is fairly simple? What about the plasti-gauge thing? I have an understanding of it but I really don't want to mess anything up.

What was your part list?

How did you tell which BEB's to order?
Did you use OE Toyota filter?
Which oil did you use?

Want to do mine? :)

What did the bearings run you? I'll have to call 4 Wheel Auto and order some.

To order them from 4 wheel auto just ask for BEB's or connecting rod bearings for a 1hd-t . . . they'll know what you mean either way. I don't know what they should cost, I paid for Main bearings cause they initially gave me the wrong ones, and just swapped for the rod bearings . . . so I paid 90 bucks or something. They might be less than that though I don't know.

I used an oil filter from 4 wheel auto and some brand of 15w40 synthetic from them. Can't remember the name, but the price was pretty good so I went for it.

The plastiguage thing is simple enough, you just lay a strip on the bearing, torque it down, and then undo it and compare the width of the plasti-guage to the chart that is printed on the package. I was told by some mechanics I know not to bother, and others said to do it. As long as you clean all the plasti-guage off at the end you definately can't mess anything up with it.

But ya, it's quite simple. You need to make sure you have something to cut the gasket to get the oil pan off. I had to make a trip for a small scraper/pry-bar type tool . . . without that I wouldn't have had a chance.

You need a 12 point 12mm socket for the bearing caps. A torque wrench, something to cut the gasket with, a 32mm socket to turn the engine on the crank bolt, the bearings, oil/filter, and a tube of gasket material which you can also get from 4 wheel auto.

Other than that just typical tools . . . read wussyPup's write-up too, he has some pictures and a good explanation, much better than this!

If you have any more questions let me know, I'm happy to answer them.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom