HDJ-80 Re-Gear Tow ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Hi mates .. i post this thread in the 80 series with no much participation ..

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/220791-turbo-diesel-gearing-options.html

Hi guys ... Buddy here have a 80 Turbo Diesel ( same engine as mine ) with 35" SS tires and 4" lift.

The issue is .. I´m thnking in the right R&P options for he .. ya I know all of us gotta said 5.29 .. and was my first thought .. but keep in mind we are talking about Turbo Diesel engines that make full boost and top peak torque numbers at 2000 rpm ..

3000 rpm it's more than enought rpm to get all the power out ..

He usually tow the race car ( a 10.8 seg corvette ) with the 80 series ..

What you think .. ?

My bet it's for the 4.88 ...

thanks !

What does he have now,4.3? I would use 4th gear;)

buy a real tow vehicle??

the 80 is nice up to 3500 lbs but anything above that is asking for trouble. a gear change to 4.88 would be nice butthen as Rosco say, just stop using O/D...

The race car .. it's as is .. so are less than 2500 lbs ..

Actually have 4.11 ( as many 80 series down here ) I'm just wondering if 4.88 are better than 5.29 ..

for real life drivability then the 4.88 will be more practical than the 5.29s

I take the value of all comments .. but at the end my mate choose the 5.29 .. so it means I will post the experiences with those gears in a HDJ-80 with a pretty fresh engine ( nice rebuild 10,000 km ago ) ..

<consider larger tires?> say 53"??

I don't think 53 .. ( mistiping .. ? ) but perhaps 37" .. with this mate you never know ..

I take the value of all comments .. but at the end my mate choose the 5.29 .. so it means I will post the experiences with those gears in a HDJ-80 with a pretty fresh engine ( nice rebuild 10,000 km ago ) ..

He will need to do a lot of towing to make it worth it;) Do you have mountains where you are?

buddies rig BJ60 on 53s powered by NOT stock 3B

100_0999

My god ,I forgot that thing still was still out there somewhere:eek::D

buddies rig BJ60 on 53s powered by NOT stock 3B

100_0999

Well knowed the Beemoth Cruiser .. how much job had this 3B inside .. ( if aren't top secret ) ..

He will need to do a lot of towing to make it worth it;) Do you have mountains where you are?

Not really .. few little ones .. He insist, even thought I told him that was not my option ..

you will need to talk to Peter about his secrets... the twin t/case and unimog axles helped in the torque department...

it was a joy to watch, like a HUGE slow bug crawling over everything in it's path...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom