HDFT Intake Screen Amp Draw? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1995 LC with the 1HDFT.

When my alternator failed quite some time back, the only available replacement was an 80A, so in it went. With the 80A unit instead of the 100A, I noticed that my dummy lights were all lit up on start up while the glow screen was on. It was pulling more current than the alternator could take, so whole system was relying on the batteries until the glow screen turned off. I ended up just disconnecting it and starting it up fully cold every time instead (it lives in a heated garage).

I recently put a 160A alt from a Sequoia into it, and decided to reconnect the intake heater. There is still a MASSIVE load, to the point my volt gauge is low while it starts up.

The intake heater starts pulling at 185A, drops down over a few seconds to about 110A, and stays there until it times out.

Does anyone else have an intake heater and the ability to tell me how much current theirs actually pulls? Is this a normal draw? Is my heater perhaps faulty?

Thanks

1995 LC with the 1HDFT.

When my alternator failed quite some time back, the only available replacement was an 80A, so in it went. With the 80A unit instead of the 100A, I noticed that my dummy lights were all lit up on start up while the glow screen was on. It was pulling more current than the alternator could take, so whole system was relying on the batteries until the glow screen turned off. I ended up just disconnecting it and starting it up fully cold every time instead (it lives in a heated garage).

I recently put a 160A alt from a Sequoia into it, and decided to reconnect the intake heater. There is still a MASSIVE load, to the point my volt gauge is low while it starts up.

The intake heater starts pulling at 185A, drops down over a few seconds to about 110A, and stays there until it times out.

Does anyone else have an intake heater and the ability to tell me how much current theirs actually pulls? Is this a normal draw? Is my heater perhaps faulty?

Thanks

Sorry, I can't help with your intake draw question, but would like to know what year Sequoia did the alt come from, and what mods were necessary to mount (pm me if you want so as to not clutter your thread up any more) :)

I have not measured the amp-draw. Mine is wired with a momentary switch and originally I had a 75 amp fuse, and that kept popping if I held the switch for more than 10 seconds (usually when temps are in the single digits F). This winter I went with a 90 amp fuse, and that has held up fine. I too have the 160 amp Sequoia alternator, and my volt gauge does drop significantly when using the screen.

@mudgudgeon I've been searching for info on this off and on for two years. Tons of info on glow plugs, but this screen is apparently voodoo magic. I guess I better sign up at Lcool and start digging for more info from overseas.

@CycloSteve Good info, thanks. I'm not actually sure what size fuse is even in here, should probably look into that. I just figure it can't be good for the life of the alternator to be stressed like that during every startup. I may have to wire a switch up before next winter so I could selectively disarm it, or allow it to run normal for startup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom