Events/Trails HDC Campout 10/23-25 (1 Viewer)

Attendance for the Campout at Rock Bowl Beach

• Yes, attending Friday and sat

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Yes attending one night

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • yes, coming out for the day

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Weather is looking good for next weekend in the Cuba area.

Fri 70/ 45
sat 64/39 Sunny all weekend
Sun 65
Not bad for late Oct.

Wind Fri WSW 8, gusts 17mph
Sat SW 8, gusts 13
Sun SSW 12, gusts 47 mph....... Looks like wind does not hit area until afternoon on Sunday. We will break camp and drive around some or head on home
WE should be somewhat protected from a southerly wind in Rockbowl Beach

Last edited:
Weather is looking good for next weekend in the Cuba area.

Fri 70/ 45
sat 64/39 Sunny all weekend
Sun 65
Not bad for late Oct.

Wind Fri WSW 8, gusts 17mph
Sat SW 8, gusts 13
Sun SSW 12, gusts 47 mph....... Looks like wind does not hit area until afternoon on Sunday. We will break camp and drive around some or head on home
WE should be somewhat protected from a southerly wind in Rockbowl Beach
I should be able to make it friday night. If i can find it lol

Screenshot_20201020-115936_Gaia GPS.jpg

I should be able to make it friday night. If i can find it lol

View attachment 2471097
Look for a tall tower on west ( left) side of hwy with some buildings around it. The turnoff is to the right very soon after that. I will be there mid afternoon.

I'd like to make at least some part of this, but I'm not yet sure when or in what capacity. Anyone going to be around Friday during the day? Thinking I might drive up during the afternoon and camp that evening.
I plan on being at the campsite by mid afternoon.I will be looking for you. HAM 146.400 I will have some yellow ribbon at campsite entrance.
No cell phone service at campsite. Glad you will try to make it.

Last edited:
I believe the Sandia repeater system should work from the camp site, no?

I believe the Sandia repeater system should work from the camp site, no?
Have not tired it out there. But I could see if it carries out there, when I get there..

I would definitely like to have attended but by 1995 Landcruiser HDJ81 RHD will be leaving Kobe Japan in the next day or so .. Won't be here until late November .. Look forward to more outings ..

YES! Another RHD!

I would definitely like to have attended but by 1995 Landcruiser HDJ81 RHD will be leaving Kobe Japan in the next day or so .. Won't be here until late November .. Look forward to more outings ..
Congrats on getting your RHD. Hope to do some camping and exploring with you, in the future. I really like to see all the amazing variety of the Toyota brand.:steer:

Weather Forecast Update for Cuba NM area:

Friday, 10/23 Day 68, wind SSW 8 , gusting to 13 mph. Cloud Cover 14% Night: 40 Cloud Cover 17%
Sat , 10/24 Day 68, wind WSW 12, gusting to 22 mph. Cloud Cover 76%, 0% precip. Night: 45 wind W 6, gusts 10, Cloud Cover 18%, 0% precip
Sunday Morning: temp 62, WSW 12, gusting to 22 mph, Cloud Cover 65%, precip 40% chance of light showers 0.01 inch
Sun afternoon: 64, WSW 17, gusts 24, Cloud Cover 69%, precip 0.01 inch

Most folks are coming to camp ⛺on Friday night. There will be a ride on Sat driving the main La Ventana Loop. First drivers, that are coming up for the day, are planning on being at campsite around 10 A.M. Sat morning. So, we will do a ride after everybody is ready to go .
We will gather a group and do the loop. :steer:

Let me know if anyone is planning on camping out on Sat night. Thanks.

Since folks want to do a drive on Sat, I am leaving my bicycle at home.

YES! Another RHD!

Hey Stephen, RHD's are Kewl ! .. Car thieves won't give them a second look ! ..

So I am looking at a GTurbo upgrade to my beast .. I plan to use a W2A intercooler but have watched a ton of Youtube videos which demonstrate that almost "ALL EWP's" (Electric Water Pumps) that are used with intercoolers not only don't have much pressure which means that they suffer from head losses so the stated 5 gpm rating only applies when there is low head pressures (short lines, low resistance through the intercooler, not much water to push) .. That being said I have been on the quest for the holy grail of EWP's .. Davis-Craig EWP's look like their real deal and they have flow rate controllers to ensure that the flow remains where you set it ..

I want to be able to run the turbo waste gate from ~20 - 30 psi .. If I am pulling a my 14 ft trailer I might need a bit more umph .. Stock 1HD-FT is supposed to produce 168 hp / 280 lb/ft Torque @ 12 psi boost .. Sea level air pressure 7 lbs so 12 lbs isn't that much of an increase .. If the ratio's hold for torque / hp .. 280 / 168 = 1.666 .. Then at 20 psi the engine will produce 240 hp and yield 400 lb/ft of torque and at 30 psi of boost 300 hp / 500 lb/ft torque .. I don't think I will need more than 25 psi of boost but its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ..

I have also discovered a device called a Killer Chiller .. This is where it gets interesting .. By using a Air to water chiller along with a freon to air chiller one can dial in a specific temperature range no matter what the ambient air temperature is .. I'm getting pretty stoked about a system that isn't controllable .. To many variables with a water to air only system .. With a Freon to water system the water temps can be reduced significantly .. I plan to work with some vendors

Hey Stephen, RHD's are Kewl ! .. Car thieves won't give them a second look ! ..

So I am looking at a GTurbo upgrade to my beast .. I plan to use a W2A intercooler but have watched a ton of Youtube videos which demonstrate that almost "ALL EWP's" (Electric Water Pumps) that are used with intercoolers not only don't have much pressure which means that they suffer from head losses so the stated 5 gpm rating only applies when there is low head pressures (short lines, low resistance through the intercooler, not much water to push) .. That being said I have been on the quest for the holy grail of EWP's .. Davis-Craig EWP's look like their real deal and they have flow rate controllers to ensure that the flow remains where you set it ..

I want to be able to run the turbo waste gate from ~20 - 30 psi .. If I am pulling a my 14 ft trailer I might need a bit more umph .. Stock 1HD-FT is supposed to produce 168 hp / 280 lb/ft Torque @ 12 psi boost .. Sea level air pressure 7 lbs so 12 lbs isn't that much of an increase .. If the ratio's hold for torque / hp .. 280 / 168 = 1.666 .. Then at 20 psi the engine will produce 240 hp and yield 400 lb/ft of torque and at 30 psi of boost 300 hp / 500 lb/ft torque .. I don't think I will need more than 25 psi of boost but its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ..

I have also discovered a device called a Killer Chiller .. This is where it gets interesting .. By using a Air to water chiller along with a freon to air chiller one can dial in a specific temperature range no matter what the ambient air temperature is .. I'm getting pretty stoked about a system that isn't controllable .. To many variables with a water to air only system .. With a Freon to water system the water temps can be reduced significantly .. I plan to work with some vendors

Should this post be not in a camping thread? :hillbilly:

We'll see if I can find this location on Saturday.

Let me know if you want to convoy up with us. Home Depot on 550 at 9:00. My top speed is 62 mph so it’ll be a slow convoy if you’re interested. Text me at 505-235-0274.

Took some photos at the campsite when Jeff took me up to show me how to get there.
3386C62B-6818-43EF-9B50-B2F17F85C575.jpeg
3386C62B-6818-43EF-9B50-B2F17F85C575.jpeg
E21AD487-42DD-4E37-83AF-201971D5A4B6.jpeg
FDB2E35C-861D-480E-9901-E426BCB38FE0.jpeg
09C95CD7-1E17-4A1A-8957-1619A7AD9D63.jpeg
CE0A7212-E378-45F9-9110-1D881C5E2E16.jpeg

We'll see if I can find this location on Saturday.
Try to meet with Stephen, and Pat , they will take you to the meet up spot for Sat.

I will tie some yellow ribbon at hwy turn off, the left turn, and campsite turn in. Hope that will help folks find the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom