Events/Trails HDC Campout 10/23-25 (1 Viewer)

Attendance for the Campout at Rock Bowl Beach

• Yes, attending Friday and sat

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Yes attending one night

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • yes, coming out for the day

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting together a weekend Campout , October 23, Friday through Oct 25, Sunday. The Rock Bowl Beach Camp

This Kid, and pet friendly weekend will be in the La Ventana BLM area. This is 25 miles north of San Ysidro, NM off Hwy 550. Look for old pavement( Old Hwy 44), to the East, and a ROAD CLOSED sign just up that road. Follow old pavement up the hill and down the hill. Turn right at old barrier, marking a washed out bridge, follow good dirt road a few miles east, and turn north, left, at intersection, by a big cottonwood tree and a steep dip into an arroyo. Camp on right , shortly there after.
Only a one hour drive to turnoff, from Home Depot on Hwy 550. Close , But Remote.

Great camp spot, rugged dirt roads to explore. Scenic mesas and canyons. Come out Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Stay all weekend or just one night. Or come up for the day. I plan to lead 4x4 rides on BLM roads on Sat and Sun, if there interest to explore. Hiking/Biking, if you want, too.

Good area for tents or RTT's. Sandy with Pine/Pinon/Juniper and sandstone cliffs. Try out your new camping gear.
Temps at this time of year are 60's during the day and 30's during the night. I will post weather forecast closer to that weekend.
I will post more information soon. Let's all get out of town, cause you know you need this......:steer::)

More Information:

Dispersed camping in a nice , shaded sandstone box canyon. Latrine: bring your own Wag bag, Porta potty or walk a bit with your shovel. Area slightly slanted toward the west, so bring a recovery board, leveling blocks or a shovel to help level your rig.

gpx coordinates : 35.93470 -106.93470 My Garmin GPS coordinates are N 35.51'.692" W 106.56'.086"

HAM 146.400

Group so far:
Camping:
Jeff
Larry
Aaron and Sarai
thegadgetguy
3fe92fj80

Maybe camping:
NyNomad
pappy

Sat day ride:
Pat and Susan
Stephen
JLH
and some of the campers

Last edited:
Sounds like a great spot, let me see if I can work it.....

Up graded information on camp out and started a poll

Amen Jeff. We'll be there for the first night at least.
Great that you can come out to camp. Looking forward to sit around the camp fire with you both.

Let me see what I can do. I'm kind of camped out at the moment. Plus, I need to make a run to Zion the weekend before for a few days to meet some long-lost, recently discovered siblings.

Let me see what I can do. I'm kind of camped out at the moment. Plus, I need to make a run to Zion the weekend before for a few days to meet some long-lost, recently discovered siblings.
You have been on the road a lot lately. :steer: Glad you get to go to Zion. The good thing about the camp out on weekend of the 24th is it is close to town.
Hope you can make it out there with us.

Went out and got a preview today...took the right at the top of the hill on old 44 and made my way to the top of the Mesa before going to find the waterfall at the cottonwood. That cottonwood was perfectly golden! Nice spot!
D0573F7F-F132-41CE-9FE1-69F72C512DA8.jpeg
BA26888E-5911-447A-B88F-C175394CF4F8.jpeg
D5FBB4CA-7EB1-43B4-8F83-6BA3361810FA.jpeg
63A0A093-38DA-4227-AE32-7F67B2C390AE.jpeg

Lurch - Great pics!

Man, that little one is growing up fast! She's ready to cruise in that 4Runner!

Lurch - Great pics!

Man, that little one is growing up fast! She's ready to cruise in that 4Runner!
Went out and got a preview today...took the right at the top of the hill on old 44 and made my way to the top of the Mesa before going to find the waterfall at the cottonwood. That cottonwood was perfectly golden! Nice spot!
View attachment 2462751View attachment 2462752View attachment 2462754View attachment 2462755
Thanks for posting some pictures of this area. Lots of great views for the mesa tops.

Rosa is so beautiful, can't wait to take her camping with Isabelle.

I'll be able to camp one night, possibly sat night but still working it out with a dog sitting gig.

Temps for Cuba ,NM area, about one week from camp out weekend.

Fri, 10/23 72 clear and dry. 30 at Sun up.... Sat, 10/24 73 clear and dry. 28 at Sun up...... Sun 10/25 high 62, 20 degrees at Sun up. clear and dry..

Winds are generally out of the south and south west at 9 mph , but gusting into the 20 and 25 mph, both days, and into the night. We will build a camp fire if conditions are safe.

I will update the weather forecast next week.
I ask that if you plan to come out to camp or visit the camp site, to let me know your plans so I can expect you. Cell phone service is not available at camp site, but a good signal is available nearby.
Bring enough bedding to stay warm. Dress for cold night time temperatures. Pleasant weather during the day.
I am planning on going to the camp site in the mid afternoon on Friday.

As of now, my plan is to come for a sat night campout, hoping to make it out of ABQ by late sat morning.

Edit: sorry folks, won't be able to make this one.

Last edited:
I plan on doing some hiking around the area, during the day and maybe bring my mtn bike and check out some of the dirt roads.

At this point I and Pat and Susan McCool are going to convoy up Saturday morning to go on the day ride. Are there any landmarks (starting at the point where we need to exit 550, and then where to turn off of 11, and any other things like forks in the road) since we don’t have any kind of GPS devices? When are you estimating the ride will begin so we can be there with plenty of time to spare?

At this point I and Pat and Susan McCool are going to convoy up Saturday morning to go on the day ride. Are there any landmarks (starting at the point where we need to exit 550, and then where to turn off of 11, and any other things like forks in the road) since we don’t have any kind of GPS devices? When are you estimating the ride will begin so we can be there with plenty of time to spare?

This is a good time to learn to use Google map "offline". You have the coordinates so plot a course there from your homes. Before you leave the house, perform a download of the google map for this area by using the "offline" map feature so that you can still navigate outside of cell range. Use Youtube on how to do this.

I don't know if iMap has this ability so download and install google map into your iphone if you haven't done so already.

I sent some info to Stephen regarding directions to the camp site location. Re read my physical description of roads leading to the turn off.
Stephen , Pat and Susan plan to be there around 10 am, Sat morning. If any other folks want to join us for a day ride around the area, let me know.
I can show everyone the loop dirt road that covers most of this La Ventana BLM area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom