HD81 Spare tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone successfully removed the tire carrier? I was hoping to take it off to paint/powder coat but the top hinge has a funky bolt (far left in picture) that I am not sure how to remove.
thumbnail

hinge.jpg

I have - I notched the bolt with a dremel and removed it with a hammer impact driver.

Replaced with a normal bolt when I reinstalled. No idea why that hardware was used originally.

I have - I notched the bolt with a dremel and removed it with a hammer impact driver.

Replaced with a normal bolt when I reinstalled. No idea why that hardware was used originally.
Thanks. I’ll give it a try. I tried a punch but not enough metal to hit. By notch do you mean like for a large flat head screwdriver? I know my impact driver has flat and Phillips heads

Thanks. I’ll give it a try. I tried a punch but not enough metal to hit. By notch do you mean like for a large flat head screwdriver? I know my impact driver has flat and Phillips heads
Pretty sure I just notched it for a flathead. It was surprisingly not extremely tight, don't remember it being a lot of drama to remove.

How did you remove the remaining stud? I have drilled out bolts before but about half the time damage the threads in the captive nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom