HD Tundra Dcab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
Rumor is that Tundra is coming out with a redesign 3/4 ton Dcab as a 07 model and a dually a year later from the San Antonio, Tx. plant. Redesign Tacoma 05 model with 4.5 V8 option. :)

Wake me up when they come with a turbo diesel engine...

Can you imagine the MPG on a Tundra Dcab w/ dualies?

FJ809496TLC said:
Rumor is that Tundra is coming out with a redesign 3/4 ton Dcab as a 07 model and a dually a year later from the San Antonio, Tx. plant. Redesign Tacoma 05 model with 4.5 V8 option. :)

Article I read mentioned a Toyota V-8 Diesel by 2009.

^when that happens.....chevrolet, ford, and Dodge will just throw up their hands and quit making anything but the corvettes, vipers, mustangs, and the hemi power rigs.

lunyou

Article I read mentioned a Toyota V-8 Diesel by 2009.

It's all just BS. They've got lots of engines that meet European emissions - not to mention Japanese emissions - available now, and it doesn't take Toyota 5 years to fit an engine into a truck.

This stuff is all decided at a higher level. You're not going to see any Japanese diesels here for two reasons:

1. Toyota has already announced that all their vehicles will be hybrids within 10 years. (Stupid maybe, but that's what they say, and they want to maintain their big lead in hybrid technology and sales)

2. Detroit doesn't need another kick in the nuts and in exchange for not giving it yet another one, you can be sure the Japanese got some nice concessions somewhere else.

3. The Japanese are happy if Americans drive big, wasteful vehicles and otherwise waste their wealth and future. Not only that, but they reserve their best vehicles for their best market: Japan.

they reserve their best vehicles for their best markets?

Lexus wasn't available in japan until last year or the year before.

lunyou

Previa Diesel said:
2. Detroit doesn't need another kick in the nuts...

Yes it does, just look at any GM product, any Ford product and most Chrysler products.

Lexus wasn't available in japan until last year or the year before.

Are you kidding? In Japan the Lexus is called the "Windom" (sp?), and I saw them there 12 years ago. When did the so-called "Lexus" arrive in NA??

There are dozens of models of vehicles that are ONLY sold in Japan.

The Japanese buy 6,000,000. new vehicles a year....and that means they sell at least 5,750,000 used ones a year. They pour those mostly nice, clean, fairly low mileage vehicles into the 2nd & 3rd World markets where Detroit of course doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of selling their new stuff and making a profit....Their whole system is set up to achieve market dominance worldwide, if possible. Which is why you can get a zero-interest car loan, old cars are expensive to license, etc. etc. The 'every man/company' for himself NA method of business can't compete with it, and that's been known for 30+ years.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee: NA is not the richest market anymore. Go read "Japan as No1" by Shintaro Ishihara, the now-Governor of Tokyo. The Japanese didn't change their ideas in 1945, just their methods.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Last edited:
i know we aren't the richest market but i read somewhere that they were just starting to have the "lexus" become availible in Japan.

lunyou

Lexus as a name plate is just now available in Japan. Until now, many vehicles we know as Lexuses stateside were sold as Toyota. Does that clarify ?

Toyota in Japan just didn't use the Lexus badge. They had 'Lexus' vehicles, sometimes before NA, but they just used the Toyota badge. For example, the Lexus LS400 was called the Toyota Celsior and actually had higher end options than the LS400 available in NA. Same thing with Honda/Acura.

Consumers classify the quality of things by name brand, be that good or bad. In NA a luxury Toyota didn't fit our mindset so the Lexus name was born. Just think about the VW Phaeton...everybodys reaction was "wtf a $100,000 VW thats crazy" regardless of its actual quality (or lack therof...). If Timex and Rolex made an identical watch for the same price I imagine 99.9% would buy the Rolex.

Brad

Previa Diesel said:
It's all just BS. They've got lots of engines that meet European emissions - not to mention Japanese emissions - available now, and it doesn't take Toyota 5 years to fit an engine into a truck.

This stuff is all decided at a higher level. You're not going to see any Japanese diesels here for two reasons:

1. Toyota has already announced that all their vehicles will be hybrids within 10 years. (Stupid maybe, but that's what they say, and they want to maintain their big lead in hybrid technology and sales)

2. Detroit doesn't need another kick in the nuts and in exchange for not giving it yet another one, you can be sure the Japanese got some nice concessions somewhere else.

3. The Japanese are happy if Americans drive big, wasteful vehicles and otherwise waste their wealth and future. Not only that, but they reserve their best vehicles for their best market: Japan.

Here is the article as reported by Edmunds.com. Funny, they mention a hybrid as well. I don't see why they would not bring a diesel if they are trying to directly compete with the Heavy Duty Trucks from Ford, GM, and Dodge. HD truck owners want to see a diesel in the mix.

TOKYO — Toyota is secretly planning a big diesel pickup truck for the U.S. market and will add a hybrid as well, according to a report in Tokyo.

In a move to counter soaring energy prices and stifle accusations of building gas guzzlers, Toyota is going eco-friendly with the next Tundra. Sort of.

In the works is a new big-block diesel V8, an engine Toyota plans to drop into the new Tundra and build at the rate of 70,000 units per year out of its new greenfield TMMTX plant in San Antonio, Texas, that opens this year. However, the diesel is apparently still three years away.

To ramp up the pickup's eco image, a new high-efficiency V8 and a gas-electric hybrid are also reportedly in the works. The diesel will be Toyota's first such unit in the United States and comes at a time when Nissan is also actively looking at building a diesel Titan.

Toy Diesel will be a HINO and should be available in 08/09. It 's on it's way. It will happen..

bkg said:
Toy Diesel will be a HINO and should be available in 08/09. It 's on it's way. It will happen..

A hell of a lot is going to happen in the oil markets in the next three years, and the big players all know it. Prices could easily double or more. You can be sure Toyota is planning on the best info they can get and if they're planning anything in the truck market it should be a mid-size diesel or diesel hybrid.

Dually crewcab land yachts are a dying breed, I doubt Toyota will be joining that crowd.

Of course, they may not be as smart as I think!:D

I bet you thought they would never build an FJ Cruiser too :rolleyes: Toyota will build a diesel if they build a HD fullsize truck, and they will.
Fullsize crew cabs are not a dying breed around here, not even close, I think you re not as smart as you think. :doh: :D

I bet you thought they would never build an FJ Cruiser too

Never thought about it all actually, but obviously they have other cruisers for the real world. The FJ Cruiser is a niche/PR vehicle, just like the Hummer.

Toyota will build a diesel if they build a HD fullsize truck.
Obviously.

Fullsize crew cabs are not a dying breed around here, not even close
Wait a few years.

I think you re not as smart as you think
:rolleyes: Don't need to think about that either: too many important things to think/learn about.

The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. Or maybe you haven't noticed? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
firetruck41 said:
I bet you thought they would never build an FJ Cruiser too :rolleyes: Toyota will build a diesel if they build a HD fullsize truck, and they will.
Fullsize crew cabs are not a dying breed around here, not even close, I think you re not as smart as you think. :doh: :D

I agree.

Espcially since Toyota has invested heavily in Diesel technology every where in the world... except the US.

Previa Diesel said:
The Japanese buy 6,000,000. new vehicles a year....and that means they sell at least 5,750,000 used ones a year.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee: NA is not the richest market anymore. Go read "Japan as No1" by Shintaro Ishihara, the now-Governor of Tokyo. The Japanese didn't change their ideas in 1945, just their methods.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Hang on a minute. The US in a country to country comparison is STILL the most important automotive market in the world by a longshot and will be for a quite some time. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to quit smelling the coffee and throw it out.

Lets compare these markets and their value to Toyota. So Japan bought 5.8 million vehicles last year, that's not bad. Guess what? The US bought 17 million vehicles last year. There is no other country remotely close to that. Even Toyota acknowledges that Japan's automitve market is not going to grow much for a while. They sold 1.8 million 'yotas in Japan last year, compared to 2.1 million here in the US.

They are surging forward in the North American market so much they may potentially MAKE more cars in North America than they even SELL in Japan in the next couple of years. In 2005 1.2M were made in NA vs 1.8M sold in Japan. Mr. T projects 1.8M vehicles produced in NA by 2008, maybe more.

Toyota has 12% of the market share here compared to 44% of the market share in Japan. Which market do you think they are going to go after more? Should they go after the market they already have licked with an outlook of minimal growth or the market with the most potential for growth in market share and most potential for volume sales?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom