hd-t fan clutch going (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser

....back in the saddle again....
Threads
it looks like my fan clutch is leaking fluid

not really seeing temp spikes, but the clutch spins really really easily by hand, and I can see some speckling on the rad hose in the same plane as the fan clutch, so I'm thinking it may be time to replace.

the alt is also growling :( so I'm looking at a fun front-end day pretty soon here (I guess I 'll do the timing belt there too!)

Anyone have special tips on the hd-t fan clutch? is it the same as an fz clutch?

Anyone have special tips on the hd-t fan clutch? is it the same as an fz clutch?

in my books yes .. and I thought it's much more easy in my 80 series than in my 60 series the fan clutch job ..

thanks David
I'm going to check the bolt patterns one more time, then order it from Napa as my lovely wife is in Indiana right now and can grab one.
Let's cross our fingers, I don't think I can return it if it doesn't fit.

Pretty sure I compared 1FZ and 1H# fluid couplers back when I did my 93 FZJ80 conversion and found
them non compatible. If my 97 FZJ80 wasn't buried under a foot of snow I would go and take another look to refresh the ole memory.

got the fan clutch replaced. Pulls more air at idle. I've got to assume it pulls more air during operation as well. So far, the only real difference that I've seen is that the AC feels colder.
Gotta get a better temp gauge than the stocker....

some pics (more at timing cover ):
dsc_7767.jpg

dsc_7770.jpg

whatever Toyota Costa Rica's computer said was the right part for an hd-t...
Part number: 16210-17010

It is an easy job to replace the oil in them. There have been threads on this here and an extensive one in the 80,s section where in the end they found it best to run the oil we use in Oz. Also need to check the action of the bi-metal spring to make sure it is working.The black sticky sludge on the outside is leaked silicone oil. cheers

I thought about replacing the oil, but was concerned about possibly ending up with another leak.

also-- the screws were very reluctant. I stripped three, then just gave up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom