Hazy trim on the hundy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a 100 last week and the center strip on the trim has a white haze to it. I see alot with this same problem. It doesn't bother me so much except the :princess: wants to put some stupid chrome sticker type cover on it. I tried a little scratch remover that was supposed to remove haze but that didnt work.

I ended up getting a warm water and dish soap and it did
the job but it took almost 20 minutes to do the 4" section on the front fender. I would be there all day at that rate. There has got to be a better way. :bang:

I searched but didnt really come up with anything, Is goo gone ok to use or will it harm the paint?

Thanks in advance.

I picked up a 100 last week and the center strip on the trim has a white haze to it. I see alot with this same problem. It doesn't bother me so much except the :princess: wants to put some stupid chrome sticker type cover on it. I tried a little scratch remover that was supposed to remove haze but that didnt work.

I ended up getting a warm water and dish soap and it did
the job but it took almost 20 minutes to do the 4" section on the front fender. I would be there all day at that rate. There has got to be a better way. :bang:

I searched but didnt really come up with anything, Is goo gone ok to use or will it harm the paint?

Thanks in advance.

goo gone is perfect but I suggest a heat gun if you have one. Use a heating gun to loosen up the adhesive surface then clean up the leftover residue with goo gone. I use the low setting on my heat gun when trying to take stickers off plastic surfaces so the plastic does not warp

Ok the goo done didnt work. Simply Green worked much better but it is still alot of work. Got one door done and most of the back 1/4 panel.

Haven't touched the passenger side yet.

Any other suggestions beyond painting?

rhino line/line-x it...

Tempting, but if I am going that route, I would want to color match and get rid of the chrome around the grill, do the rims and that little mesh part in the vent in the back panel.

Anybody got Rhino on their grill, trim and rims????

rhino line/line-x it...

Tempting, but if I am going that route, I would want to color match and get rid of the chrome around the grill, do the rims and that little mesh part in the vent in the back panel.

Anybody got Rhino on their grill, trim and rims????

you can color match the rhino-line to your oem body color. If I ever when that route I would color-match it to my main body color. I'm not a fan of the two tone paint jobs, but it does look good on certain colors.

Any other suggestions beyond painting?

The haze is oxidation. Odd as it may sound try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I've used that on the vinyl trim on my sedan and it works quite well.

If you get to the point of removing the trim don't bother with solvents for the remaining adhesive. Go to an autobody supply shop and ask for an "eraser wheel". Put it in a drill and go to town. Works a charm.

Thanks, I will try the Mr clean eraser. I am sure the :princess: has some around.

If I do pull the trim I will probably have it re sprayed by a shop and maybe do the rims. It all depends on $$$. Would rather spend the $$ on maintanance, or sliders :D. than cosmetics. Spent enough on fluff for a while when I installed the Nav and DVD headrests for the little one.

Pretty sad, but I dont even know what color combo I have. I just found an LC that was clean and had all ther services up to date. I cant post any more pics so now will just call it silver.

I painted mine a couple of years ago. After a few spray cans of trial and error, the best color match for my white 99's plastic trim was: inside stripe Rustoleum bright coat metallic finish #7715 aluminum, and the base trim Valspar lacquer hi gloss #65063 aluminum. Lots of blue tape, contractors paper and a non breezy couple of hours and you're set. I'll see if I can get a pic up tomorrow.

Didnt get a chance to try the mr clean eraser last night. The neighbors already think I am crazy and got home late last night. Didnt want them to think I was some kinda tweeker out cleaning my car at midnight.

I dont think primer is needed for the bedliner. When I did my truck years ago it was like applying tar.

Stil havent gotten all the trim clean. Half the DS looks good. My ABS went out so the LC has been sitting at the shop until I could secure a better price for the part. Should get it back Saturday and will try the mr clean or breakdown and get a clay bar.
trim.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom