Hawse Fairleads...... UHMW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.homestead.com
'Was just doing a search on Hawse style fairleads for synth rope.
'Studying pro's and con's... (everyones is better than everyone elses)

It hadn't occurred to me to use UHMW. I have a friend with a Bridgeport and a fair sized stack of the stuff. I've got a good router. Shouldn't be hard to make one. Don't have any idea what the stuff does to machining tools/bits ?
Is that the same stuff used in the "Martha Stewart" cutting boards ?

Found this website.........
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/welcome.htm
Look toward the bottom of the page. That's the cheapest I've seen a hawse fairlead.
Is it the end-all be-all miracle cure ?

Anyone have any notions about the efficacy of UHMW in this application ?

Thanks,
John Sherwood '79 FJ-40
Charlotte, NC TLCA - Upstate Cruisers

Purchased my hawse fairlead from Rugburn on Pirate. Same cat making the lexan windshield replacements that Brian wrote about in product reviews. Great guy, made me custom ones for the shop here, ahd LCR4WD and DIPSTIX MOTORSPORTS engraved in them. Turned out great.

Will try and get a pic out here someday.....LEMON???

Good luck!

-Steve

I've likewise got a rugburn hawse on my rig, replaced the aluminum one I was running. Has a really kewl ih8mud.com engraving too ;)

rugburn also hits here daily...pm him

yeah the UHMHP should do you fine with the hawse style fairlead.

i looked at some pics of rugburns production stuff on pirate, and it's really cool.

btw sherwood, are you interested in hittin up tellico sometime this spring?

me and my bro-in-law are thinkin about takin a trip and are tryin to find some other guys that might be interested. i've got to finish breakin my 40 before i start fixin her up again. ha ha.

oh, and can you send me an email for somebody from upstate cruisers?

i lost my stuff they gave me at the last meeting and want to send em some money for a membership.

thanks,
jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

Upstate Cruisers

Hey Jonathan,

David of Pumpkintown on this board is President [unless something has changed].

Dues ($10 yr) can be mailed to:

Rebecca Sudduth
13 Payne Road
Taylors, SC 29687

The website (which is just being built and has one page) is at:
http://www.upstatecruisers.org/

john

I love my Rugburn fairlead......

I have pm'ed rugburn twice, been awaiting shipping cost for afew weeks now.

Rockbuggy Supply sells Rugburn's fairleads.
Butch

hey sherwood,

thanks for the addy, that's just what i need.

jonathan

[quote author=Texican link=board=1;threadid=10080;start=msg90037#msg90037 date=1074050489]
Rockbuggy Supply sells Rugburn's fairleads.
Butch
[/quote]

Hmmmm very interesting!!!

we're currently waiting for a shipment of these from Scott @ rockbuggy (for the last 6 weeks) said his supplier is backlogged.....now that we know who his supplier is....

RJ

Making fairleads and windscreens is not Johns main line, hence the possibility of some short delays. Hopefully this is not keeping you from wheeling....

-Steve

Nope, not at all...we just weren't sure what was up when the delivery time came and went, but when we contacted Scott he was straightforward and honest....we have them on our rigs, we were just getting the rest to have for stock.

RJ

since I'm new to the winch end of things (just got a 40 with a winch on it) can anyone tell me why an aluminum hawse isn't good?

The cable on my winch is old and nasty and I don't trust it. I am looking at the OKoffroad setup that comes with hawse and hook.

http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-winchrope.htm

although....when I just looked at it now, the offer didn't pop up..... hmmm.... :'(

anyway, I'd still like to know the theory.

Thanks!

if the alum hawse gets a sharp edge on it, it will cut/damage the rope.....UHMW doesn't have that issue. Additionally, should you have to swap to a backup/emergency wire cable, it will grind the alum to bits. The UHMW will survive the wire cable.

slam your bumper into a few rocks and you'll pickup some sharp edges...trust me... ;)

Chris,

I was told by John that the poly fairlead would be far less likely to damage the nylon rope, as they are made of similar materials and if a surface irregularity did show up, could be smoothed out very easily.

Talked with Mark Kiely at OKoffroad, he said that the 3/4" thick poly fairleads have been damaged by the Amsteel rope in a very hard uphill pull, and hard side pull. Mark is sold on his billet aluminum fairleads. Niether John, nor Scott at Rockstomper have said anything about poly fairlead damage.

The fairleads that I recieved from John are at least an inch thick. I have not mounted any up yet, but should have a 40 equipped with the 3/8 Amsteel, with one of Johns fairleads, and an 8274-50 ready to use by 25 Jan. This will be the test subject that will have many photos taken of it.
I will get them posted as soon as we are done.

I thought Nolan was using one of the poly fairleads too, isn't it time for him to chime in here...

-Steve

Looks like Scott is all caught back up :D

We ordered a box and he threw an extra one in for the delay... Thumbs up!

These are a full 1" in thickness.

3.jpg

Necro thread revival...

So how is the UHMW hawse holding up?

Chris,

I was told by John that the poly fairlead would be far less likely to damage the nylon rope, as they are made of similar materials and if a surface irregularity did show up, could be smoothed out very easily.

Talked with Mark Kiely at OKoffroad, he said that the 3/4" thick poly fairleads have been damaged by the Amsteel rope in a very hard uphill pull, and hard side pull. Mark is sold on his billet aluminum fairleads. Niether John, nor Scott at Rockstomper have said anything about poly fairlead damage.

The fairleads that I recieved from John are at least an inch thick. I have not mounted any up yet, but should have a 40 equipped with the 3/8 Amsteel, with one of Johns fairleads, and an 8274-50 ready to use by 25 Jan. This will be the test subject that will have many photos taken of it.
I will get them posted as soon as we are done.

I thought Nolan was using one of the poly fairleads too, isn't it time for him to chime in here...

-Steve

holy batman thread revival :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom