Having trouble with the window trimming for a FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dad and I spent most of today working on replacing the window glass in our 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62, after the old glass shattered. We got a new powered window regulator, glass, and weather strips for inside and outside.

We've got the glass and regulator installed, but for the life of us cannot figure out how to get the weather stripping on. All the connectors from the old weather stripping shattered as we were removing it, so we can't really look at it for help.

There are 3 components as far as we can tell; The door itself, which has 5 holes in it. The chrome trim which fits over the door, which also has 5 holes in it, however none of these holes line up with the holes in the door. And the weather strip, which has 5 plastic connectors on it.

Here are two pictures of the chrome and weather strip; http://imgur.com/DAJdX72,KQ1vPOy
http://imgur.com/DAJdX72,KQ1vPOy
We tried clipping the weather strip to the chrome, but then there was no conceivable way to attach that to the door.

Did we buy the wrong bit of weather strip? Is there one for without chrome, and one for with?

This is obvious but will the tabs slide? I've changed a lot of these side glasses but never the horizontal weatherstrips.

Yes, the tabs slide, we have the tabs lined up with the holes in the chrome.

Make new holes in the door. Prime them (& the old ones) with something rustproof like POR15.

Is there a chance you got the weatherstripping meant for another door?

Are these aftermarket parts or OEM? If OEM, maybe you can confirm the part number with a dealer to make sure it is the right part for that door?

I don't think you use the chrome with the new weather strip. The only ones that are still available from Toyota don't have the chrome on them... Try without the chrome!

Hey.just went through this on my 88/62. I think if memory serves me correct I put the chrome and rubber together then put it onto the door. I know exactly the dilemma you are talking about.I racked my brain for a while too and even put one on without the chrome before I decided it had to be possible as the old rubber had fit. It took ALOT of force (downward) to get it to clip back into the door holes.I guess what im saying is if you are sure you have the correct toyota oem weatherstrip/window squeegee strip it will in fact fit with persuasion. Sorry I dont have my truck right here or id look.

I just replaced all of them on my truck on all 4 doors. The non chrome version, as I de chromed my truck. They slide right in with an audible pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom