Having trouble locating a clutch master cylinder or rebuild kit for a bj74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search and found a few good posts and info but I can not find a replacement therapy clutch master cylinder,3140160042.

My clutch is leaking into the cab where the cylinder and booster meet at the firewall.

Any help in finding a replacement or a quality rebuild kit

I might have one... I'll check later today when I'm at my storage spot. Is the part number for the rebuild kit or the master cylinder?

The clutch masters for the BJ74 are obsolete. Rebuild kits are not an effective approach to repairs most of the time, and we have a shop policy of never installing a rebuild kit into brake and clutch cylinders as the failure rate is very high (especially on iron bore cylinders).

Call me and I can help you out.

~John

I had my brake MC re-sleeved last year.
Clutch MC is going through the same this week.

Never made it to my storage... I should make it tomorrow.

The part number for the MC that I have is 31401-60022. I think it is the non-booster flavor. I'll have eyes on it tomorrow to confirm the part number.

I have new Aisin parts in stock for this application, but a few minor mods are required to fit the new master cylinder.

You do not need to get your old cylinder re-sleeved, just bolt a new one in place, set up the distance for pushrod lengths according to the go/no-go specs in the FSM, re-mount the heat shield, and you're good to go.

~John

I have new Aisin parts in stock for this application, but a few minor mods are required to fit the new master cylinder.

You do not need to get your old cylinder re-sleeved, just bolt a new one in place, set up the distance for pushrod lengths according to the go/no-go specs in the FSM, re-mount the heat shield, and you're good to go.

~John

How are you re-attaching the heat shield on your AISIN? Assuming your tapping and using a short bolt?

Yeah, the heat shields factor into it.
For my 80 series brake MC I fabbed a heat shield that don't look so great.
I like keeping original parts when I can.

How are you re-attaching the heat shield on your AISIN? Assuming your tapping and using a short bolt?

The unit we sell does not have the bolt hole or the boss in the end for the heat shield, so we have typically used a piece of strap with a clamp to hold it to the cylinder.

The fluid tube also needs to be bent to fit into the cylinder as the BJ74 one comes out the top and the one we sell it comes out the side (you caj drill a hole in the shield to make it fit more neatly. The heat isn't really that bit a deal as long as the exh manifold heat shields are in place. We've been doing this parts swap for many years without any complaints or reported issues other than the fitment.

The unit we use is from an HZJ / PZJ boosted clutch vehicle.

See: Master Cylinder, Clutch (Boosted) - Land Cruiser PZJ, HZJ70, HZJ73, HZ…'

The next time I do one in the shop, I'll take some photos of it.

Greg from G&S just got this part from me and he may have installed his by now, so perhaps he can send along a photo of how he did his.

~John

All good, great tech!

Using a clamp was our end method as well. @cruiserdan and myself looked really hard at trying to drill/tap with a really short bolt as the AISIN units I have do have a tiny bit of material there (not like original) but in the end decided to go with a modified clamp.

Now, I'm not near the BJ71/74 nor near my place but I don't recall any of them being a 3 bolt clutch master rather 2 bolt?

All good, great tech!

Using a clamp was our end method as well. @cruiserdan and myself looked really hard at trying to drill/tap with a really short bolt as the AISIN units I have do have a tiny bit of material there (not like original) but in the end decided to go with a modified clamp.

Now, I'm not near the BJ71/74 nor near my place but I don't recall any of them being a 3 bolt clutch master rather 2 bolt?

The 2 bolt units were on the LHD units - BJ70 series and 60 series (not on the FJ models), and the booster was on the outside of the firewall.

The RHD units are 3 bolt and the booster is inside the vehicle.

There are non-boosted units as well, and I believe these may be 2 bolt, however I have not seen these coming out of Japan, all have been 3 bolts boosted units.

~John

All the RHD's we have are boosted. I'll have to peak under the hood. @cruiserdan, is yours a 3-bolt?

EDIT: Just found a picture of mine, 3-Bolt. 3-Day weekend and I start forgetting things :D

I just removed mine the other day...3 bolts.

I may fab a bracket to attach to the cockpit side studs of the clutch booster. They could prvide a clean mounting platform for a future relay, etc. Ill get good measurements at least while the booster is out.

Interesting to see the differences. Mine is a non-boosted BJ70 (3B) and has a stud/bolt configuration for the clutch master. One stud and one bolt.

Photo of 3 bolt mount on firewall (minus the clutch MC).
Thing at bottom right is the vac line attachment.
Bolt in upper right is for heat shield.
Purple arrow shows hydraulic line.
upload_2016-7-5_15-0-1.png

upload_2016-7-5_14-59-10.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom