Having tough time with LC ownership.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas, need to vent and get some real world advice from people who know far more about these than I do. Got my 80 beginning of November last year. Blew my hg on thanksgiving. My mechanic just took the head off and took it to the machine shop. They looked at it/tested it and determined it's warped too badly to be machined. I have driven it 3 times total. I guess I'm not surprised that it needs so much work as it is getting old but this has got to stop somewhere right? Now I have to find a head. Have searched here but it's not like I can drive to Toyota and pull one off the shelf. I really don't know where to start now. New bare head? Can I reuse my calves and cams? New complete head? Used motor of unknown origin? I don't know what the heck to do. It's not my dd but I do have a considerable amount (for me) of money invested into it already. Thoughts? Suggestions on what to do at this point? I'm open to anything. Minus a swap for a different motor. I am not mr moneybags.

Maybe try a different mechanic or machine shop?

I feel your pain. so far I have spent between $1k-2k and 2 years fixing brake lines(plus all the "while i'm here" stuff) and drove it about 100 miles total. I haven't had to deal with the engine parts yet, but suspect I will.

The blown HG is a common thing, so there should be many guys on here with some insight of where to look/start for parts, etc.
I would have a hard time believing that you can't reuse everything except the head itself. The rest of those parts should be fairly interchangeable. Maybe the bearings have to be changed, but that's small-potatoes.

Have you checked with jason @ Cruiseryard? @arcteryx is his name here. He is a real stand-up guy and great to do business with.

I will message him and see what I can find out. I don't want to give up (can't) on this thing but my patience is starting to wear a little thin.

Maybe try a different mechanic or machine shop?

I feel your pain. so far I have spent between $1k-2k and 2 years fixing brake lines(plus all the "while i'm here" stuff) and drove it about 100 miles total. I haven't had to deal with the engine parts yet, but suspect I will.

The blown HG is a common thing, so there should be many guys on here with some insight of where to look/start for parts, etc.
I would have a hard time believing that you can't reuse everything except the head itself. The rest of those parts should be fairly interchangeable. Maybe the bearings have to be changed, but that's small-potatoes.

Have you checked with jason @ Cruiseryard? @arcteryx is his name here. He is a real stand-up guy and great to do business with.

Hell i think i dropped that in the first two months on just PM! I have a stack of receipts so think i hate to total them up. And that is just after one year of maintenance. I can say that except for a brake booster and rear brake disks it was 100% PM.

To the OP, hang in there. By a FSM and learn to do work your self. Order parts from Sam/Beno/CDan.

Have already been in contact and bought a bunch of stuff from Dan. When the hg blew it took my radiator with it so that and all related parts came from him.

Oh man. Sorry to hear about your frustrations and doubts.

I remember my first og 91 lc woes. I was all f%#$&ed up. I didn't know anything about these trucks and so I ran to the stealership.
That was a nightmare!!! The bill was ridiculous!!!! My wife was like WTF!!!!

Man. Your not the only one that has gone through this crazy experience, but it's a good indicator of what ownership of a LC/LX can be like.

There are many fellas here who will help you get through this stuff. It may take some time(this sucks also cause you wanna drive the cruiser), but with some patience and a bit of know how you'll get through this and learn a lot about your truck.

When I bought my last truck ('96) I didn't even know the HG had gone out. Everything looked and worked fine. I wasn't gonna try to do the HG myself. Too gnarly of a job for a noobie like me to tackle( in hindsight I wish I would have done it myself). I had a local shop do the job for like $1300.(ouch).

"Search" function on here is your friend. Read. Breathe. Ask. Repeat. And Repeat.

POWER on this forum has this as part of his sig line I believe.

" I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Picasso.

I'm diggin' it and I'm trying to do everything on my LC myself.

Good luck. Hang in there!!!!

I too was too afraid to do this particular job myself. Not that I couldn't tear it apart but that I don't know what to watch out for and don't wanna do it twice. I just want the major bleeding to stop.

On the positive side, all the money you invest on non-maintenance items won't likely ever need to be spent again.

Yeah that's true. Damn near the whole front end is gonna be new.

I was fortunate and got my truck inexpensively, but knowing full well that I was going to have to throw some cash at it.
I have replaced the radiator, all hoses, rebuilt front and rear axles, rotors, calipers, ss brake lines, wiper motor, rear gate struts, hood struts, tires, radius arm bushings, tires, and upcoming soon, exhaust. Currently, I have about $5000 in parts in it and it will consume about $1000/yr for the next 5 years in PM and upgrades. I am NOT made of money and try to do things inexpensively. I do know, however, that experience has taught me to buy the RIGHT parts (OEM where critical) and do it right the first time, but only trust myself to do the hard stuff. I am thoroughly amazed at the idiots that are able to keep their jobs in spite of how poorly they do their work. I have owned this truck for 2 years and have put 19K miles on it and has had 8 months of down time to do the repairs. (Not all at once)

Have you considered a long block replacement?

I was fortunate and got my truck inexpensively, but knowing full well that I was going to have to throw some cash at it.
I have replaced the radiator, all hoses, rebuilt front and rear axles, rotors, calipers, ss brake lines, wiper motor, rear gate struts, hood struts, tires, radius arm bushings, tires, and upcoming soon, exhaust. Currently, I have about $5000 in parts in it and it will consume about $1000/yr for the next 5 years in PM and upgrades. I am NOT made of money and try to do things inexpensively. I do know, however, that experience has taught me to buy the RIGHT parts (OEM where critical) and do it right the first time, but only trust myself to do the hard stuff. I am thoroughly amazed at the idiots that are able to keep their jobs in spite of how poorly they do their work. I have owned this truck for 2 years and have put 19K miles on it and has had 8 months of down time to do the repairs. (Not all at once)
Check your inbox sir. You will remember me.

I've had my 96' for exactly 1 year this month. I've spent roughly $6k just keeping it running, driving (egr, blown hg, radiator, brakes, front end, etc.), and fixing po screw ups. And that doesn't cover the cash spent on upgrades.:bang:

Owning an 80 is like dating an needy, always hungry super model. You'll always be short on time, cash, and patients but when it's good and you're out driving you're like "yeah she's mine" with a big :D on you're face.

You just have to wait for someone to do one of those absurd diesel engine swaps...;)
I think if that were to happen to me, I would start looking at an LS swap. BTW, where are those kits?

Keep in mind that your ~20 year old vehicle has a lot of hard miles & most likely subpar maintenance. Mine was terrible when I purchased it with 235k on the clock.

The good news? Once you finish the HG job you should be good for another 100k+ miles.

get another opinion on the head.
These rigs are like rescuing a dog from the pound, you will likely need to deal with some previous abuse but with the right attention and care you will find a companion for life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom