Having problems removing my FJ62 gas tank, Am I missing something ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 MATT

SILVER Star
Threads
I’ve been working on my 88 FJ62 today and have been trying to remove the tank and not having any luck. I removed all the hoses and wasn’t sure if there is some certain technique or way it comes out, but it’s just not coming out. I don’t remember the last couple of FJ60 gas tanks I’ve taken out being such a pain in the ass. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Double check that your hoses are disconnected and out of the way and your sway bar mounts are disconnected. It should pop right out.

Thanks I wasn’t sure if they needed to be disconnected to be able to drop it thank you. Do you unbolt them at the frame?

I just removed the driver side sway bar mount from the frame
fuel pump lines dis-connected?
not sure, maybe the felt on top glues itself to the underside of the body, I needed to assist the tank to drop last time I did a pump

I just removed the driver side sway bar mount from the frame
fuel pump lines dis-connected?
not sure, maybe the felt on top glues itself to the underside of the body, I needed to assist the tank to drop last time I did a pump
Thanks Paul I think once I undo the driver side sway bar mount I should have better luck getting it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help

years ago on a rig, I had an issue with aftermarket shackles and the bolt was too long and the tank hung up on it.
trimmed it up with a sawzall and had enough clearance

years ago on a rig, I had an issue with aftermarket shackles and the bolt was too long and the tank hung up on it.
trimmed it up with a sawzall and had enough clearance
Thanks for your help. Where is a good place to get a new fuel pump

9BBBB316-DED8-4E1A-8AFC-56C06B864E48.jpeg

1935E07F-0303-4350-AA90-3C5B22019145.jpeg

EF5D12A5-498B-4482-BC9B-3711A287BCF9.jpeg

186BC39A-2BAE-43AA-8FF4-5BF36FB0AE3A.jpeg

6246AE8D-919E-4551-A3F3-AA9DE45C0B0B.jpeg

Double check that your hoses are disconnected and out of the way and your sway bar mounts are disconnected. It should pop right out.
Thanks for your help

Denso only,
hope you're going to clean the tank.

Denso only,
hope you're going to clean the tank.
Yea there was a lot of old gas and gnarly gunk inside the baffled area. Can now see bare metal on the bottom of it and it’s in good shape. Cleaned up the fuel pump and bracket as well. Might try to pick up a new filter or sock for the fuel pump today. Hoping to get the truck running again today or tomorrow

The pickup tube for a 60 was reportedly no longer available; however, I was able to find them at Toyota. If they're still available for a 60, I'm wondering if they may still be available for a 62 also.

Since chemical stripping services have been de-nutted by the EPA, I've had pretty good luck having mine boiled out by a radiator shop.
All the radiator shops have closed up near me unfortunately. I would just like to at least flush out all the garbage out of it for now so I can see what shape the rest of the tank is in.

we still have a good rad shop in town.

CLR? and some bearings or marbles or similar, and roll it around

we still have a good rad shop in town.

CLR? and some bearings or marbles or similar, and roll it around
Should I try flush out the larger stuff with a hose and then follow up with that. It had a bunch of sludge and loose metal particles all over in it

I'd get the big stuff out first,

I'd get the big stuff out first,
Just got done flushing it out. Will see how the clr works. Do you have to neutralize it with baking soda and water afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom