1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having carburetor problems on fj40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by martytx1234, Mar 3, 2007.

1. martytx1234

martytx1234

i am having carb problems on my 79 fj40. does anyone here know of a mechanic in the houston area that knows landcruisers?
    when i adjust the fuel/air adjustment screw, there is very little response. i can even remove it completely and the engine will keep running with out much of a difference. because i cant adjust it i cant get the idle right. any ideas?

thanks,
    marty

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

That's not surprising. What would be surprising is if you turned it all the way in and it still ran.

So what makes you think you have a problem?

Sorry, can't help you in Houston.

3. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    most normally if you have to mess with a idle/air mixture screw your only covering up a another problem.unless another was in there rednecking:D .sorry cant help on the location :beer:

4. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    no help on Houston, but is your timing right?

5. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

If you're looking for a local to look at it, try posting in the TX-Houston forum here on MUD. It's a pretty strong club from what I here.:)

As far as the carb goes, look down into the venturi with the carb running. You should not see ANY gas coming out of the emulsifier at idle if it is working properly. If there is gas, chances are the idle circuit is not operating properly, and the idle speed screw has been overtightened to compensate for it.

Best

Mark A.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007