Having an issue with my gauge cluster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having an issue with my gauge cluster. My oil, fuel, and temp gauges have suddenly become very intermittent in operation. At first the temp gauge would randomly stop working over a couple of days. Next startup it would work fine etc. etc. Then over the span of a few days the rest of them all died and have remained that way. Voltage is fine.

So before I start digging into the issue, is there a common ground for just those three gauges? And if so, where exactly is it located? Any other potential areas I should be looking at?

The gauge cluster grounds through the body of the cluster. Make sure the 2 Philips screws that hold it to the dash are tight.

Based on the symptoms I am guessing your 40 is 73 or newer. If so all 3 gauges are powered through one pin on the barrel connector on the back of the cluster. (Pin 3)

IMG_20220205_203601.jpg

All three gauges have pins out wires to the different gauges.

Sooo my guess is to clean the barrel connector and gauge pins.

If you have a pre 73 likely it's the same problem but you need to clean the wiring harness connections the principal is the same without the circuit board.

I’m going to try this on my 78. My temp gauge doesn’t work. I get the temp from the sniper handheld unit but it would be a bonus to have the gauge work in the cluster .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom