Having a heck of a time with the running board light bulb swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
Needed to do a couple things to the GX today; fix the glove box light, remove CD changer and change out the running board lights.

So I crawled under the truck today with the intention of being able to do this without using a lift or taking the wheels off. I had a hell of a time but I finally after 15 mins of fiddling got the front driver’s one changed. I spent the next half hour trying to get the rear driver‘s side bulb socket free I must either have too big gorilla hands or this SOB just won’t come out.

Any suggestions? I don't have an impact wrench/tire iron (long story) or access to a lift so I need some outside of the box answers that my google fu and youtube skills cannot find. At least I did the other two things without trouble. :D

Needed to do a couple things to the GX today; fix the glove box light, remove CD changer and change out the running board lights.

So I crawled under the truck today with the intention of being able to do this without using a lift or taking the wheels off. I had a hell of a time but I finally after 15 mins of fiddling got the front driver’s one changed. I spent the next half hour trying to get the rear driver‘s side bulb socket free I must either have too big gorilla hands or this SOB just won’t come out.

Any suggestions? I don't have an impact wrench/tire iron (long story) or access to a lift so I need some outside of the box answers that my google fu and youtube skills cannot find. At least I did the other two things without trouble. :D

I took cut my running boards off a few years ago and put on sliders so it has been a while...But, don't the bulb sockets just twist out? I am not sure why one would need and impact wrench.

As I recall, just a 1/4 or 1/3 turn or so counter clock wise and then pull straight out. Then remove the old bulb and put in the new. (I am presuming your replacing with LED's or replacing a burnt out OEM.) It is tight if you have big hands and you may need to move your body around to get a good grip on the bulb socket.. Are the sockets not twisting? Perhaps spray a little silicone around them and wait to let it penetrate. Also, it may be possible to twist the small tangs past the removal slots so you will just need to jiggle and feel when the tangs line up with the slots then pull straight out.

It is do able without a lift.

I changed mine out years ago. It is dead simple once you "see" what you need to do. You are a little blind going in, so taking a vid with your phone just to get the lay of the land is helpful. At least you can visualize what you are feeling at that point.

Have you seen this thread?

Sometimes the plastic light housing and the metal bracket get corroded bad enough to fuse together... So be prepared for things to crack.

But for certain these can be swapped with bare hands with the vehicle on the ground. Quarter turn counter-clockwise!

IMG_20200407_124421.jpg

Sometimes the plastic light housing and the metal bracket get corroded bad enough to fuse together... So be prepared for things to crack.

But for certain these can be swapped with bare hands with the vehicle on the ground. Quarter turn counter-clockwise!

View attachment 2264026

If you crack any I'll send you mine. Just pay the shipping. They're in great shape.

Thanks all. Like I said I got one off, but only one. The driver side rear one isn’t budging and I didn’t want to crack it as it was mentioned it may be fused or stuck. I just need more room to get a better angle on them.

The primary issue I run in to is little to no room when I crawl under it especially with the wheels on. How hard is it to just drop one side or the other of the running board itself? If I could drop it a few inches and pull it out a few I could easily get to them since I don’t have a jack/lift or means to remove the wheels (yet) and I have large hands and long arms. Haha.

And thanks @TahoeLX450 if I need any I’ll shoot you over a msg!

Question.

Could I cut / splice the wires of the running board lights and run these under the vehicle instead? I have an idea where to mount them if I can use the existing wiring.

Amazon product ASIN B01H7FGO46

Thanks all. Like I said I got one off, but only one. The driver side rear one isn’t budging and I didn’t want to crack it as it was mentioned it may be fused or stuck. I just need more room to get a better angle on them.

The primary issue I run in to is little to no room when I crawl under it especially with the wheels on. How hard is it to just drop one side or the other of the running board itself? If I could drop it a few inches and pull it out a few I could easily get to them since I don’t have a jack/lift or means to remove the wheels (yet) and I have large hands and long arms. Haha.

And thanks @TahoeLX450 if I need any I’ll shoot you over a msg!
I went and looked at my step lights in my parts bin and all four seem to be the same light as in not a different light for front / back and left / right side. So, it may be that you have to turn clock wise on one side and counter clock wise on the other. The bulb socket is a tight turn but they well made so you may just need to turn a little harder. I recall one of the front ones I reached in with pliers to grab a hold of it.

Also, use the factory wiring along with Rago Fabrication rock light mounts and Rigid Rock lights and mounted them to the frame after mounting sliders. The set up works incredibly well for ingress/egress lights and will stay on until about 10 MPH with the door on one latch to be used as rock lights.

Lastly, you can check the Rigid sale bin and often find last years models for about 50% off list.

Just replaced my running lights with leds. As previously said, it's just a small turn needed to release and lock them in. I did have some trouble when I could not get one to seat. Upon pulling it out, I noticed the led was missing. Yeah, it came loose in the housing! I got up and looked into the housing from the outside and there it laid. 30 minutes later using a long handled magnet and banging on the floor board, it lined up, I got it out, and had it installed in a few minutes. Could not agree more, setting eyes on it makes it much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom