Having a hard time justifying the cost.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An XJ and a 100 series are a world apart. A low mile, clean 100 is a $60-70k vehicle right now. Values are increasing. Likely bottomed out 2-4 years ago. As more time goes on it becomes clearer and cleared that few vehicles are built like a Land Cruiser. And that drives the price up and up and up. Since they killed the split tailgate with the 300 series, I don't think you'll see 100/200 values drop going forward.
If I could get half that I would sell mine now.

Might expand your search a little. This one might be worth calling on
Thank you! I use search tempest and I do search NM, AZ, etc. This one never popped up for me. I will check into this one. Again, thank you.

Does it have to be one that is newer and lower miles?
Find an early 100 series that needs some attention (ok they all do but maybe one that needs more than others) for theoretically less and use the leftover savings (lol) to refresh it.
I have looked into that as well, say one that needs a trans or something. Still few and far between and as well as needing a trans (or whatever) it is usually all beat up and generally not well cared for.

Does it have to be one that is newer and lower miles?
As I have said and will say again..... a low mileage LC/LX is way overrated and overpriced. Same if not more issues for 3-4x the purchase price. Fact.

Yesterday a 2001 Lexus LX470 with 123K miles sold for $27,550.
Wow!!
My 2002 LX470 just turned 58K miles.
Thought about what I could get for mine, but what could I replace it with and be as satisfied???

ZZZ_2021_07-23_001.jpg

My 2002 LX470 just turned 58K miles.
Dude…. Drive it for crying out loud. :bang:
You should personalize your tag to …..401kpln

i put 30K miles on mine in 18 months i owned it. wish i never sold it tho

These were $70k vehicles fifteen years ago.In my mind as long as they are maintained and have avoided the tin worm they will always be $70k vehicles…well worth making necessary repairs as needed.Unlike a number of high dollar vehicle,these will seldom be seen in a “pick&pull”.

I bought it in 2016 when it had 24K miles.
34K miles in 5 years ... retired, one year of lock down, at this rate the next owner will buy it at my Estate Sale :)

Digging around, I have come across an '04 Land Cruiser, 2 owners, 190k. Asking $18k for it. That just seems absurd to me. It will need a timing belt, that will be about $1500. I am sure it has the original suspension which will need replacing, etc, etc, etc. I understand they are great vehicles with undeniable pedigree and reliability. But still, I just cannot see paying that much money for a vehicle with 200k miles on it that will need continuous injections of cash.

Wanted to ask you all your thoughts and thank you in advance.
Regarding suspension, I recently bought a '97 LX (OK, 80 series so a bit different) with 201K miles and it absolutely does not need to be replaced. Nothing, not shocks, springs, bushings, etc. IMO, too many people get caught up in the "gotta lift it" thinking after getting an LC. If it hasn't been abused, why the fawk would it need a new suspension? It's an LC, after all. As long time Mud member Crushers once said, "the further you stray from stock, the further you get away from the legendary Land Cruiser reliability". Or something to that effect.

03 with 5 speed? Dunno, I've just driven the older model (2000) and it was very nice. Yeah, buying a used 100 looks like a spendy proposition these days. My advise is to keep an eye out for deals but don't expect to find any. Keep the Jeep and enjoy life in the slow lane. :cheers:

it's not like they're churning new 100 series weekly off the factory line. If you got one, HODL.

I went from a jeep xj, to electric to lx470. The lx is a lot more comfortable compared to the xj, especially on high way miles. The lx/lx is more reliable, but also more expensive than the xj. The lx also feels 15 years newer in wear even though it has 2x mileage.

I’ve already purchased mine at a great discount!But seriously,look at what else is available in the same price range as a used 100 and they are actually a bargain...

XJ? meet dissent. 2100 payout, totaled, 2018.
In all fairness I have no idea if that is an XJ. Just saw the pic and thought, huh- I think I've hit one of those Chryslers pretty good.

Untitled3.jpg

Been a long time lurker and observer. Always have liked the Land Cruisers ( and LX470's) and always wanted to own one but never could justify the prices. Now with the jump in prices on everything, it seems even harder to justify. I currently have a 2001 Cherokee with 91k on it. Mild lift, 31" tires and very clean. Not your average junker. I would like to have something with a little more power, a rig I could do road trips through the mountains if necessary. The Jeep is working pretty hard to hold 75 especially when throwing in some mountains.

Digging around, I have come across an '04 Land Cruiser, 2 owners, 190k. Asking $18k for it. That just seems absurd to me. It will need a timing belt, that will be about $1500. I am sure it has the original suspension which will need replacing, etc, etc, etc. I understand they are great vehicles with undeniable pedigree and reliability. But still, I just cannot see paying that much money for a vehicle with 200k miles on it that will need continuous injections of cash.

Yeah you should have bought before Covid. Just like I wouldn't recommend most people buy a house right now in most markets, I wouldn't recommend buying a LC or similar right now. You'd be over paying by quite a lot. Let the camping/overlanding craze pass and you'll get one for half that or less.

Been a long time lurker and observer. Always have liked the Land Cruisers ( and LX470's) and always wanted to own one but never could justify the prices. Now with the jump in prices on everything, it seems even harder to justify. I currently have a 2001 Cherokee with 91k on it. Mild lift, 31" tires and very clean. Not your average junker. I would like to have something with a little more power, a rig I could do road trips through the mountains if necessary. The Jeep is working pretty hard to hold 75 especially when throwing in some mountains.

A couple of things to consider regarding the price of a Land Cruiser. First, I purchased both of the Land Cruisers I've owned with right at 200K on the odometer. In my opinion milage doesn't matter as much as the overall condition. Land Cruisers tend to be built to a very high level and do not develop the milage related creaks and bits falling off that seem common place with Ford/GM products. That being said... they are expensive even after purchase. Part of what we all pay for is the culture and to some extent the dependability that these come with. I truly wish you the best on your search, but think that disappointment may lurk in your future if you go into owning a Land Cruiser with thoughts of Jeep priced repairs.
Cheers,
Scot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom