Having a hard time justifying the cost.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a long time lurker and observer. Always have liked the Land Cruisers ( and LX470's) and always wanted to own one but never could justify the prices. Now with the jump in prices on everything, it seems even harder to justify. I currently have a 2001 Cherokee with 91k on it. Mild lift, 31" tires and very clean. Not your average junker. I would like to have something with a little more power, a rig I could do road trips through the mountains if necessary. The Jeep is working pretty hard to hold 75 especially when throwing in some mountains.

Digging around, I have come across an '04 Land Cruiser, 2 owners, 190k. Asking $18k for it. That just seems absurd to me. It will need a timing belt, that will be about $1500. I am sure it has the original suspension which will need replacing, etc, etc, etc. I understand they are great vehicles with undeniable pedigree and reliability. But still, I just cannot see paying that much money for a vehicle with 200k miles on it that will need continuous injections of cash.

Wanted to ask you all your thoughts and thank you in advance.

New cars are running out, used car market spiking, and you're looking at the most reliable vehicle Toyota has ever built that happens to retain the best value....so, that's why it's expensive.

Try looking at BringAtrailer auction site, you'll puke looking at what cruiser go for.

New cars are running out, used car market spiking, and you're looking at the most reliable vehicle Toyota has ever built that happens to retain the best value....so, that's why it's expensive.

Try looking at BringAtrailer auction site, you'll puke looking at what cruiser go for.
I get it. You would puke looking at what a clean, low mileage Jeep XJ brings. HA! Yeah, I guess I will just sit this one out.

My intial 2 cents with change.

Digging around, I have come across an '04 Land Cruiser, 2 owners, 190k. Asking $18k for it.
That is a bit higher than perhaps a year ago.

It will need a timing belt, that will be about $1500
$1500 sounds high to me. I got a TB service done (one of very few in my LX ownership life) for $550 labor

I am sure it has the original suspension which will need replacing,
Not an common replacement unless you are OCD or just want a new setup
I just cannot see paying that much money for a vehicle with 200k miles on it that will need continuous injections of cash.
Again, perhaps high but typically a 200k mile LC is really not high miles. They wear really well over time compared to every other station wagon on the planet. Injections of cash have a lot more to do with OCD personalities and personal preference than real life unbiased costs of ownership.

I hear you but at some point you’re going to have a difficult time finding a “low mileage” LC as time goes by. I looked for a good month and one did show up (2004 LX470) and was fortunate that PO kept meticulous records and did all the services and replacement of things that wear. TB, brakes, T fittings, power steering was replaced. 168k miles on the clock. Price wasn’t ideal but I feel that I made a good choice and this will be with us for many years to come.

I read that the chip shortage may not level out till later in 2022 barring any other unforeseen events.

good luck with your search. Just know if you see one you like strike fast, I’ve seen someone go up and within a day it’s sold.

Last edited:
Whewwww. My fleet with two spare LXs are looking better every day.

Does that mean that my N+1 fleet, with only one spare LX, is too small? Well 💩, that’s a kick to the privates!

While I could get my money (plus a profit, on the two used purchases) out of them, in the current market, there’s not that much out there that I’d really want to replace them with.

To the OP, all used car prices seem a little nuts at the moment, but yes, the LC/LX seem to have taken a substantial jump during the pandemic.

Whether it’s a temporary condition due to the sudden mainstream interest in overlanding and social distancing, the chip shortage, or a more permanent condition due to dealers like King’s Chariot, doing their flashy “mall build” flips, driving the price up, it’s not a great time to be a 100 series buyer.

Last edited:

Might expand your search a little. This one might be worth calling on

If you don't wrench on your own vehicles, a 100 series of any mileage will ruin you and your wallet. These after all are 15-23 year old trucks now and they all need bit here and there no better how meticulous maintained. Parts alone, the 100 is an expensive proposition to buy and equally expensive to run.

If the 100 is too expensive, a lot of that price premium is justified but yet some of it is for hype, your best bet is a 2000-2007 Sequoia. Has a solid rear, and same 2uzfe. $18k will most def get you into 5.7L sequoia terrirotiry.

An XJ and a 100 series are a world apart. A low mile, clean 100 is a $60-70k vehicle right now. Values are increasing. Likely bottomed out 2-4 years ago. As more time goes on it becomes clearer and cleared that few vehicles are built like a Land Cruiser. And that drives the price up and up and up. Since they killed the split tailgate with the 300 series, I don't think you'll see 100/200 values drop going forward.

After initially thinking I may have overpaid for mine about 2 months ago, I've spent ~$2500 on fixes/upgrades and I'm still several thousand under the price of ones in much worse condition..... I now think I basically stole mine for what I paid.

Does it have to be one that is newer and lower miles?
Find an early 100 series that needs some attention (ok they all do but maybe one that needs more than others) for theoretically less and use the leftover savings (lol) to refresh it.

After initially thinking I may have overpaid for mine about 2 months ago, I've spent ~$2500 on fixes/upgrades and I'm still several thousand under the price of ones in much worse condition..... I now think I basically stole mine for what I paid.
I'm in the same boat. I just bought my LX470 a couple of months ago, and I kind of thought it was nuts that I was paying as much as I did for a 21 year old vehicle. I've put even more into it in repairs and upgrades, and the more I think about it, I'm happy with the purchase. Who knows how much the prices could go up, but even if the market sinks, I didn't buy it to sell it. I plan on having this for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom