Haven't seen many of these... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lockers? Unlikely (some do but not many).

Winch? Some have a PTO, this one doesn't (look at the photo).

But they do come with the very nice 1HZ engine, far superior to the 3B-T IMHO.

This ad doesnt mention how many km, I wonder what its got on it.

I also wonder when Toyota started galvanising the body panels on these? If they had galvanized body like the HDJ-81 that would be a big plus (rust a problem on the '74s).

Jonathan Colvin

1990 HDJ-81 OME, 35', intercooler, onboard air, deer killer bumpa and loud as f&^$# air horns

1990 FJ-80 for sale who wants it please take it from me....

looks kinda like a pig

Betcha there's a good reason it's that cheap...

I also wonder when Toyota started galvanising the body panels on these? If they had galvanized body like the HDJ-81 that would be a big plus (rust a problem on the '74s).

Galvanized or cadmium-plated? Either way is great, cadmium is just thinner, and a lot more poisonous.;p

Last edited:
jcolvin said:
But they do come with the very nice 1HZ engine, far superior to the 3B-T IMHO.

Do you mean a "13B-T"...or a non-factory 3B-T which would be a 3B with an aftermarket add-on turbo?

If you mean to say that the 1HZ is a superior engine to the 13B-T, I disagree (and not only because I own one :D). What would make you think that the 1HZ is a "far" superior engine?

1HZ:
quiet (timing belt vs gears, over head cam)
powerful (135 hp) (with the potenial of 230+ hp with the right mods)
fuel efficent 25-28 mpg (depending on the right foot of course)
no "sensitive throttle" in the manual setup. )not all 13BT has this problem but some do)
parts are still being produce for this engine and will be available long after the "B" series are hard to find

13BT:
quick acceleration
feul efficient (20-25 mpg)(depending on the right foot of course)
powerful (135 hp)
gear to gear (so no belt to change)
both engines are 24V in Japan
by far the best of the "B" series engines.
limited power increases (already turbo'd)
noisy

either one for me is a fine engine, i like tweaking an engine so the 1HZ has much more potential in this area, and i like a quiet engine.

cheers

That's a great summary, Wayne...but I don't think we've quite seen what a 13B-T is capable of yet. With the direct injected design vs. the 1HZ indirect injection, I think that there is a greater potential for more power than you give the 13B-T credit for.

If someone were wanting an inline 6-cyl turbo diesel to tweak, I think the right one for that application would be the 1HD-T.

:beer:

Stone said:
That's a great summary, Wayne...but I don't think we've quite seen what a 13B-T is capable of yet. :beer:

Poo is coming, though tweaking may take a little bit of time...

gb

Greg_B said:
Poo is coming, though tweaking may take a little bit of time...

gb

That's gonna sound pretty bad to anyone who doesn't know you :D

bj70_guy said:
That's gonna sound pretty bad to anyone who doesn't know you :D

Ya...I was chuckling as I wrote that...

gb

Stone said:
That's a great summary, Wayne...but I don't think we've quite seen what a 13B-T is capable of yet. With the direct injected design vs. the 1HZ indirect injection, I think that there is a greater potential for more power than you give the 13B-T credit for.

If someone were wanting an inline 6-cyl turbo diesel to tweak, I think the right one for that application would be the 1HD-T.

:beer:
agreed, someday someone wil play with the 13BT, i tried the larger exhaust with 14 lbs of boost and was happy for a while. then i got the iHZ back from the states and started playing with it and on 35s that thing rocked. i could have tried more but the truck sold on me.
i would love to see what someone like Bruce, Greg or yourself could do once you minds were set on it.
me, i just love to play...
looking forward to seeing POO in action...
cheers guys

I just saw almost the exact truck in Ladysmith yesterday....think it had a different bumper so maybe not the same one, but kinda funny that within 12 hours of seeing this picture, I see one on the side of the road.....

Does look like a nice truck.

cheers,
ryan

I think you must have seen it on Wednesday.;)

I can vouch for the quietness of the 1HZ. Someone had an HZ73 over at Wayne's this past weekend and fired it up with the hood open. I had never heard one up close like that before. Boy, was it quiet. I have heard gas engines that make more mechanical noise than that. Suffice it to say, I was impressed.

-kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom