Have you ever seen tires do this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled off the shoes today to do a brake job. Rolling the tire to set it aside and I noticed this. Have you ever seen this? I would all over online putting in silly combinations of words, but no images match. A little history, it has been sitting for a month. But not on top of the metal grate or anything Like that. Suggestions

IMG_3752.JPG

Maybe the brakes slammed that tire really hard, and locked it up, which driving over a metal grate, scraping all that rubber off?

Is it just one, or are they all the same?

Maybe the brakes slammed that tire really hard, and locked it up, which driving over a metal grate, scraping all that rubber off?

Is it just one, or are they all the same?
It's the same on both fronts!

If the marks are only on one side of the tire like that, aka where the tire would be hitting the ground at the same points, I think maybe they front tires locked up and ground out against something on the ground. I can't imagine any other reason why the tires would be "ribbed" like that.

I'm with mike on this one.

That is odd. What brand and style tire is that? I think its to perfect to be brakes locking up, and on the front you would know it happened. Any vibration?

Turns out it is on all four tires. I'm guessing it locked up as well. I just can't remember that happening... I do love a good mystery.

try posting it on reddit /r/justrolledintotheshop - those guys have seen everything

I'm going with a manufacturing defect. It's conceivable that the mold for a particular layer of compound is ribbed to promote adhesion to the next layer and that the tire was formed incorrectly. I'd contact the manufacturer.

What brand?

It's not a retread is it?

Looks like a lockup to me. I've seen similar on some of our cattle trucks.

It's not a manufacturing defect.

Someone locked up the brakes. I saw this once in my tire days. The guy tried getting us to warranty them out, we said no and he bought new tires without a fight. . . .

Those look like yokohama geolandars, I've seen many of those tires and never seen a defect, so I'm going to to with the "locked up on a grooved surface" theory :hmm:

Looks like when they cut grooves in the road before repaving and sometimes on bad turns.

I'm assuming it's from a lock up, I just can't remember ever locking it up. It's a 3FE, so gaining enough momentum to need to lock up is almost impossible, and then I'm on an aftermarket brake booster, so actually getting enough power to stop those wheels is a whole other ordeal:) anyhow, they sound fine, and in a couple thousand miles they don't be there anymore! Thanks everyone!

I can't remember having a lock up situation with ABS in my life....but I drive like a grandma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom