Have to make a suspension decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sailor

Jackass of all trades
Threads
Hi again everyone, hoping for opinions- Rigs a 91 HDJ81 running 295 75 16 BFG AT (new) with a 5 inch lift ( I think- 25 inches hub to flare) and Rancho rs9000 shocks. This stuff was installed by the PO and there are no geometry corrections like panhards and links etc. also the caster is pretty bad- llike - 4 deg. Perversly the truck runs straight and well but I'd like to get it back in spec.

So- Do I go to the trouble of fixing what I have to get the suspension under the truck correctly? Seems I would be better off starting again with an off the shelf system to preserve the lift height which I think looks awesome but lets face it- I rarely wheel any more- wife hates it etc. Or- do I stick tail betweeen legs and run home to momma with an OME 2.5 kit. I'd like a smooth ride and great roadtrip handling but the visual side is pulling me towards the taller lift.

I've searched here and spoken to several vendors (thanks guys!) but am having a tough time pulling the trigger. I don't intend to install myself, mechanics can put the OME 2.5 in for $1,800 Cdn which seems quite fair and I can get a few other things handled at the same time. Does the 2.5 handle close to stock? Maybe all I need is a boot in the A*^ to get started... Thanks.

Personally, id try to keep the lift you have and address castor w/ either landtanks plates and stock bushings or maybe slee's front control arms. The arms are spendy but so is a new OME system. Even if you dont wheel as much it looks bada** as is there if you need it. Maybe get your castor readings and hub to flare measurments and drop landtank a PM for his thoughts.

F.O.R. Gen II. I was just driving some washboard roads, and you hardly even feel it. If you don't wheel much, get down to 3.5" of lift and run a suspension that is so cushy you'd think you'd bought a new truck at the dealer. Caster is fully corrected at this lift height with the provided caster correction brackets (I just installed mine today).

Use the lift you have. Just correct you panhards if you really want to. Get caster plates. You will be low in #'s but safer on the road.

I know a Canuck up there that will give you 2 kicks in the arse, and a smack in the mouth as a bonus:grinpimp:.

The FOR Gen II is approx 3-3.5 inch I think. If the ride is that smooth I'd like to give it a shot. I will check that out but doubt there are dealers here in B.C. I don't carry heavy loads or tow.

The FOR Gen II is approx 3-3.5 inch I think. If the ride is that smooth I'd like to give it a shot. I will check that out but doubt there are dealers here in B.C. I don't carry heavy loads or tow.

Bikeman has sage advice that you can just do caster plates. If you don't wheel, or don't do serious rock crawling, the Man-a-Fre front drop brackets are completely bolt on and kind of a no-brainer.

F.O.R. doesn't have any dealers that I'm aware of. Smooth doesn't really say it, my 80 on 35" MT's and F.O.R. Gen II is damn near more supple riding than my posh minivan. And my 80 is "light" - I carry some spares and tools and have sliders, but that's it as my bumpers are tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom