Have these springs had their day? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are a couple of pics of the springs on my new 60. First the rear ones.. The truck has towed a caravan for a many years and is noticeably lower at the rear end. It rides OK but makes a doink kind of sound when going over any ruts. On bouncy ground it makes no noise ??? Interested in any opinions - do the springs look a bit flat to you? Could the doink be coming from the springs or the shocks?

Cheers, Jim :beer:

heck they look pretty worn to me. Im not a cruiser expert but if in doubt just replace it and not worry about it! besides if you are still towing much of the time go with a heavier shock/leaf spring setup......

looks like the fronts have an add-a-leaf..........added

yeah man,

those nice flat springs are perfect for an SOA (spring over axle). big suspension lift deal where your springs are placed above your axle (rather than under, as it is now).
probably a little extreme for your situation though.

i would bet that the "boink" is your bumpstops hittin under quick articulation like hitting a rut. no big deal, but it would be nicer not to have it, right?

i'm no 60 guy, but i'm sure some guys on here can tell you what to do. i would figure replace the springs if you got the cash, but if not, no big deal.

have a good one, and good luck,
malphrus

Heh heh, actually, the springs in my 60 look almost that bad--they work fine for me, I get no boink (at least not while I'm driving ;) ), but then again I don't tow. Me? I'd like new springs. But I don't have them yet 'cause I'm cheap.

If you weren't towing, you probably could go thousands of miles more, but since you're towing, maybe replace with some HD springs?

welcome back Jim, hows the ride compared to the Patrool?

look like the springs might be flat, tyres look a bit worn. nice looking ride though.
needs a nice arb bumper up front though ;)

are you towing with it?

good to have you back :beer:

mine springs looked about the same or worse when i did my SOA i just took the bottom two out and used add-a-leafs and took the packs apart and repainted them.. they look and ride better... but im sure add-a-leafs preform diff. on SOA...
good luck
-ak

those look ok yet.
the ones that were on my were pretty spent :flipoff2:
60choptop.jpg

Man, I hope that's Photoshop?????
Ed ;)

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I could leave them for a while. Maybe I should tackle the rust spots first and one or two other issues. I will change the springs in time but as I'm not towing I can live with them and the occasional boink.
I've got a dealer sending me a quote for OME - maybe it would be worth waiting and saving for.

Thorvald, the ride is not bad compared to the Patrol. Since the Nissan was a short wheel base it was pretty choppy. Are you getting ready for the bear killing season again?

[quote author=Jim_Phillips link=board=1;threadid=12329;start=msg113679#msg113679 date=1078223372]
Thorvald, the ride is not bad compared to the Patrol. Since the Nissan was a short wheel base it was pretty choppy. Are you getting ready for the bear killing season again?
[/quote]

getting ready for the hunting, not going to be shooting one unless its a large one, havent paid the taxidermist for the last one yet :rolleyes:

I imagine the rides similar to my fj60, which isnt bad, not as smooth as the 80 though.

I've found a source for new springs for my HJ62. Problem is, the company has springs for an HJ60 and don't list a 62 ???

Will there be any difference between leaf springs for a 60 and 62?
Will the springs for a 60 fit my 62?

Please help :-\

FJ62 series springs are identical to FJ60 series springs, with the exception that 62 springs have a couple of extra leaves in the rear, and they use plastic leave inserts. The 62 spring pack is a much better setup than a 60 series. In my opinion, you'd be taking a step backward by installing 60 series springs in a 62. While it will work, you'll have less towing capacity, and load carrying capacity, and you may experience more body roll, although if your 62 still has the rear stabilizer attached, this won't be as pronounced.

Toyota still stocks 60 and 62 series springs. I checked last week, as I'm considering purchasing some 62 series rear springs for my 87 FJ60, as they're much better built. Fortunately, my 87 FJ60 hasn't been overloaded or abused, so there's still acceptable performance in the spring set.

[quote author=landcruiserdude link=board=1;threadid=12329;start=msg114982#msg114982 date=1078420842]
FJ62 series springs are identical to FJ60 series springs, with the exception that 62 springs have a couple of extra leaves in the rear, and they use plastic leave inserts. The 62 spring pack is a much better setup than a 60 series. In my opinion, you'd be taking a step backward by installing 60 series springs in a 62. While it will work, you'll have less towing capacity, and load carrying capacity, and you may experience more body roll, although if your 62 still has the rear stabilizer attached, this won't be as pronounced.

Toyota still stocks 60 and 62 series springs. I checked last week, as I'm considering purchasing some 62 series rear springs for my 87 FJ60, as they're much better built. Fortunately, my 87 FJ60 hasn't been overloaded or abused, so there's still acceptable performance in the spring set.
[/quote]

Do you know how much the springs are running at the dealership?

It's time to replace those springs. :doh: Not only are they flat they are wavey. I can't see the shocks but if they are the same vintage they need replacement to. I'd have to say even those springs wouldn't last all that long on a SOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom