Have LX thinking of swapping for an LC. Am I taking crazy pills? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My dad has a 2003 and I have a 2007, and I have to say that during normal driving there isn't much of a different between non vvti and vvti. I've driven both in the mountains and there is definitely more power going uphills with vvti, and towing with vvti is much better. That's just my experience.

Good point about driving in the mountains - I live at sea level and only drove the vvti local. Didn't notice much, if any, difference. When I was in CO at 10K ft above sea level, my 4.7 felt like an 80 series at sea level :)

IMHO the 4 headlights front of the LX and the AHC are much better.

Don't look at that "L" on the grill and steering wheel, but always look to the Toyota branding on your drivers window when you step in and front window when you drive it.

Wurst case change the grill to a custom one without the "L", but for something better then the "coffee-bean" logo

Stop taking those pills !

:cheers:

We drive station wagon kid haulers.....haha 4 versus two headlights aint making a difference.

Get the LC. You've already made a prudent decision to drive something 1/3 the cost of a new SUV that still won't last as long. Even though they're essentially the same vehicles, there's a purity that's missing with the Lexus - if that makes sense. It does to me at least.

Unless you can manage great deals on selling and buying, use the money you'll potentially loose and put a new Toughdog or OME set up on it. No more AHC worries. As for the interior, I'm with you, I made sure I got one with grey, the rest didn't really matter. Buy some seat covers. Off road it a bit, rough it up, once you do, you can stop worrying about the aesthetics, and appreciate it for what it is, an Land Cruiser with a few fancy bits that are ALL options on a LC.

there's a purity that's missing with the Lexus - if that makes sense. It does to me at least.

HUH?

Without going off the rails on the merits or demerits of AHC -- some of us even like AHC, the OP is hoping to have more cash by downgrading years and miles. That cash could he used to upgrade the downgrade rig (or put to other use, but why ever would you do that? )

One consideration, I think is worth restating is knowledge of the current rig after 2 years of use and maintenance versus the mysteries and maintenance due on the 'new to you' truck. AHC has some maintenance and globes are part of that, which can be had for ~$500 total parts cost. The other extras available in later model year LXs I cannot speak to, but I think the current state of your LX with respect to condition and maintenance history is a critical part of the calculus, before a dollars and cents comparison can be made.

HUH?[/QUOTE]

From the OP: “…just the plain fact I like the looks and bare boneness of the LC. Not to mention the simple fact of that this IS an LC, trying to explain that the LX is a land cruiser is painful enough.”

If the goal for some of us is to “de-bling” these, then having an LC vs. an LX gets you closer to that. Heritage/purity – whatever you want to call it. Conversely, if I wanted the ultimate older Japanese luxury car, I’d choose an LS over an Avalon. This isn’t meant to disparage the LX. The wiser, less brand conscious among us have picked them up for a good bit less than comparable LCs!

Replace the front LX badge with the winch control and get a big enough rear bumper set-up to cover the rear badges and no one will know.

They are both luxury SUVs that very few us really need.

Go for it, make the change. Some folks don't care, some settle, and some will never be happy without an LC. I probably also fall into the latter category technically myself but I found a very well cared for LX with every invoice from day one so that was important to me, but maybe in a couple of years I might look for an LC again. BTW I love the Sand Dollar Pearl but couldn't get one because I also don't like tan interiors. Tan was a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
I get it. Rationally, I knew the two trucks were 99% the same. But, I just didn't (and don't) like the LX nearly as much as the LC. I don't expect someone who prefers the LX to get it... or care. I only looked at 2006/7 LCs. Yep - that took longer. But, I was planning to keep it for a while. 106,000 miles later, I'm really (!) glad I took the time.

We've had our 06 LX for a little over two years, its been relatively good to us, only really wear and tear items that hadn't been replace needed tending to. Initially shopping for a 100 I wanted an LC but had a hard time finding one close enough, and most seemed more expensive than the LX counter parts. I was originally drawn to the LX for the nicer interior bits, AHC and other "luxury" type amenities, this being said, Ive never been a luxury brand fan, they've always just felt too old manish to me. The one we ended up with was sand dollar pearl, which I was okay with since that color seemed to be on the rarer side. I LOATHE the cream interior, never owned one, and its a constant struggle for me, and another con that seems to be common is the front end, not a huge fan of that either. Lastly we have a big Yakima box that doesnt fit all the way because of the spoiler and the way the roof rack is far back.

So far Ive liked the AHC and its given us no problems, good ride, can easily lower to get into garages etc. This will be our main family hauler/ grocery getter, not a strict overlander. Enough bashing on the LX, its good truck for what it is, but with mileage increasing the AHC is becoming more of a concern for me, and just the plain fact I like the looks and bare boneness of the LC. Not to mention the simple fact of that is IS an LC, trying to explain that the LX is is a land cruiser is painful enough. I wanted to get a model with the vvti, Im sure we'd be okay without. Ive come across an 03 which seems to be in good shape, albeit 20K more miles. We're currently at 180, this truck is at 200. With that we could get it for close to half what we still owe on the LX. That alone is good enough for me. Im looking for any thoughts and opinions on this. Am I taking crazy pills??!!

Matt.

You are crazy. You are going to trade in a car that is 3 years newer and 20k less miles. You know the history and reliability of your current rig. This forum always advice's buy the newest rig you can afford!! You already have one. It’s only a badge suck it up!!

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you can pick up the '03 for less than $10K which you said was less than half of what you owe on the LX. If that's true, you owe somewhere around $20K for the '06? Might be a bit tough to find a buyer willing to pay that for an '06 with 180K miles. So the trade may not be as attractive as you first thought?

Not that much, Im in the LX for around 15K..they are asking 10.5 for the LC. I was figuring 15 vs 9 or so. Depending what I could get for the LX later on it may be a wash. I agree, the prudent side of me says, keep what we have, I know what Ive put into it so far, and whats been all done. Even still those maintenance items are negligible..minus the brakes maybe, in the longer term. I know its just a badge and it sounds crazy, but its been on my back burner since day one. Let me link the truck so you guys can see what I'm looking at, carfax has most of the info but it says its been in an accident..obviously I don't know the extent of that.

Autotrader - page unavailable

Heres the LX when we bought it..Ive since dipped all the chrome to more a black/gunmetal

LX.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom