have I lost a bracket.. 1978 carb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, reassembling this carb after a rebuild and am beginning to wonder if I am missing a bracket, it's hard to find picks of a similar carb for reference, model is 8 A17, most show a secondary linkage for the vacume control. I have a bolt but nothing under it at no spare linkage. any help appreciated

hi, reassembling this carb after a rebuild and am beginning to wonder if I am missing a bracket, it's hard to find picks of a similar carb for reference, model is 8 A17, most show a secondary linkage for the vacume control. I have a bolt but nothing under it at no spare linkage. any help appreciated

20211114_161520.jpg

20211114_161459.jpg

11/77 US Federal carb - might help :meh:

IMG_0609.JPG

At this point im not even sure if im missing anything or if that bolt is supposed to go there, if anyone has any pics of a 1978 non us carb that would be great

- is this a 2F engine carburetor ?

- Is this a NON-USA New Zealand or AU Spec. Carburetor By Chance ?

- why do you have a USA Spec. 1969 40 / 55 Series Factory Cable Accelerator BELL CRANK ASSY. Bracket on your Carb Base?

- is this a RHD Vehicle Perhaps ?

Interesting here .............. 🤔

1630908291613.png

- is this a 2F engine carburetor ?

- Is this a NON-USA New Zealand or AU Spec. Carburetor By Chance ?

- why do you have a USA Spec. 1969 40 / 55 Series Factory Cable Accelerator BELL CRANK ASSY. Bracket on your Carb Base?

- is this a RHD Vehicle Perhaps ?

Interesting here .............. 🤔

rhd nz /au 2f. correct on all counts

rhd nz /au 2f. correct on all counts

this is the specialized area of my good friend @FJ40GURU , he is from down in OZ , and should be able to better help you here ,

matt

Where that big frankenstein looking bolt is poking out. That is the spot where a 'lever' would connect to the choke breaker diaphragm. It sets up idle at cranking startup, then adjusts it, with the presence of vacuum on that diaphragm. That is how it is on a '75 USA carb. For your carb, there isn't a second hole on the diaphragm for the extra wire link to the 'lever.' My later 'non-USA 2F carb' doesn't have that diaphragm, so, it isn't as easy of a startup as the original carb, but, the original carb diaphrams have small vacuum leaks after all these years, so it is like the last few days of running museum quality parts on a running rig.

The most important part of the diaphragm's function is setting the choke butterfly, not the throttle speed during cranking. Your setup will do that. You can pull the strange bolt holding the lever hole, as it is a blind hole.

I'm surprised to see that fat black spacer, as I didn't think Toyota would have been doing EGR overseas in that year. Also, the fuel return line was also something kinda USA-specific.

Love the old Hayne's manual!

What is interesting is that the hole for the pivot bolt was even threaded. I just serviced a non US carb last month that the customer asked me to add the throttle positioner to, and in addition to providing the missing pieces, Ihad to thread the hole in the fuel bowl for the bolt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom