Have engine problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,
Was hoping for some help from the crowd. I was driving from VA to FL during a PCS with the truck loaded with a trailer and 80 mi from the GA border the truck started emitting a light white smoke from the hood vents, the temp jumped from 180 to 210 in less than 2 min, and the truck seemed to bog down could not get better than 45mph from the previous 65mph. I had the pedal to the floor and nothing just steady at 45 mph. Had extra exhaust coming out the back, but not really heavy white smoke. I it got it home on the ride off shame ( the wrecker) I checked the coolant and did not see any oil in it, but there was small white milky spots on the dipstick. When I tried to start it it took several attempts (7-8 tries) to get it started (previous to the incident it would start on first or second try, even when cold) and had to feather the throttle to keep it running. During the attempts to start it sounded different than it use to like there was less restriction on the motor and when it runs it sounds like there is a slight intermittent sucking sound (almost like hole in a air hose) that follows as the engine turns, like a cylinder is sucking in air as it rotates. Seems like to me a bad piston ring or a head gasket went bad, but there are so many symptom it seems to point to different problems.
I am leaning towards head gasket because the PO had put stop leak in the radiator because the radiator was damaged and it ran hot when I got it. I replaced the radiator, thermostat ( as there was none), and the water pump. That was two years ago. I do no know how long the PO ran it with the cooling system damaged, but that's why I was leaning toward the head gasket. I just need some help before throwing parts at it. I am getting a compression tester tomorrow, but any good advice to help my investigation would be great. Thanks ahead of time for your responses and help.

I was thinking head gasket. The last time this happened to me it would over heat and lose all it's water in less then 10 mi. The hard starting also made me reconsider a different diagnosis. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom