Have constant pull to the left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 99 LC has a constant pull to the left when driving. I can't figure it out. It's been doing it ever since I had the OME lift installed 3 years and 6,000 miles ago. I had new tires put on and a couple alignments done at 2 different places. Both said alignment was good. I don't believe it's an alignment issue. I think it's related to something else.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm getting ready to go on a road trip in a week and would like to fix it.

Stuck brake caliper.
Pry the caliper open like you were replacing the pads, then clamp off the rubber brake hose with vise grips, wrap them in cloth so they dont cut the line, then drive.
Does it still pull?
No?
Theres your problem.
Still pulls?
Swap tires from side to side.
Pull gone?
Still pulls?
Bad tire.

Pry the caliper open like you were replacing the pads, then clamp off the rubber brake hose with vise grips, wrap them in cloth so they dont cut the line, then drive.

Sketch. Maybe check for uneven or abnormal pad wear first and, if found, rebuild the culprit caliper and install new pads. Then check for pulling.

@Spike555, have you done this before... clamping 18-yr-old rubber brake lines with vice grips? I haven't. But, it seems like a quick path to another brake project ;)

If the alignment shop didn't see anything, it might be time to have the other shop inspect the suspension/steering/brake parts.

Stuck brake caliper.
Does it still pull?
No?
Theres your problem.
Still pulls?
Swap tires from side to side.
Pull gone?
Still pulls?
Bad tire.

I will check the brakes today. I've had 2 different sets of tires, each rotated and cross rotated. So I don't think it's the tires.

I have noticed that my drivers side front sits about 3/4 inch lower than the passengers side. Could this be the cause? Do I need to adjust the torsion bar?

I have noticed that my drivers side front sits about 3/4 inch lower than the passengers side. Could this be the cause? Do I need to adjust the torsion bar?

Exactly like mine, 3/4" lower and pull to that side. About to look at it over the weekend, although the pull was bearable.

My 99 LC has a constant pull to the left when driving. I can't figure it out. It's been doing it ever since I had the OME lift installed 3 years and 6,000 miles ago. I had new tires put on and a couple alignments done at 2 different places. Both said alignment was good. I don't believe it's an alignment issue. I think it's related to something else.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm getting ready to go on a road trip in a week and would like to fix it.

You've been putting up with a "pull" for 3 years? No doubt that may have made things worse if it points to tire wear.
  • Post a picture of your most recent alignment print out.
  • How hard does it pull? Slightly or you have to input counter steer to drive straight?
  • If you lifted the rear end 2.5" + and didn't change the rear lateral control arm/rod (panhard) to an adjustable, you're rear axle may be pulled slightly to one side, which could require more steering input to keep it driving straight. You'll want to double check the distance from the wheel(rim) to the frame and make sure its the same on both sides.
  • Dragging caliper would cause pull, but if its that bad you'd probably smell it or notice more dust build up on that wheel.
  • Hows the tire wear look? Pressures good front & rear?
  • Wheel bearings good?

Exactly like mine, 3/4" lower and pull to that side. About to look at it over the weekend, although the pull was bearable.

I'm going to try and adjust mine shortly and see if that fixes it. Mine is bearable but just annoying on an 8 hour drive. I'll keep you posted on the results.

You've been putting up with a "pull" for 3 years? No doubt that may have made things worse if it points to tire wear.
  • Post a picture of your most recent alignment print out.
  • How hard does it pull? Slightly or you have to input counter steer to drive straight?
  • If you lifted the rear end 2.5" + and didn't change the rear lateral control arm/rod (panhard) to an adjustable, you're rear axle may be pulled slightly to one side, which could require more steering input to keep it driving straight. You'll want to double check the distance from the wheel(rim) to the frame and make sure its the same on both sides.
  • Dragging caliper would cause pull, but if its that bad you'd probably smell it or notice more dust build up on that wheel.
  • Hows the tire wear look? Pressures good front & rear?
  • Wheel bearings good?

- I'll get the alignment rechecked and post results
- Pulls slightly to left. Just enough to be very annoying.
- I'll measure the rear axle. How difficult is the install and who makes a decent replacement?
- I don't think it's the brakes but will check them today.
- tire wear and pressure is good. just rotated and balanced 2 days ago
- Wheel bearing are good

I'd check brake rotor temperatures, rack bushings, inner & outer tie rods, steering rack bushings, and then start prying on all the bushings in the front and rear of the truck to check for play. If you've been taking it to the same alignment shop, it's possible their machine is out of calibration. If everything checks out on it, I'd ask the alignment shop to adjust the toe on it so it drives straight (within spec of course) . How much is the vehicle lifted front and rear?

I'll take it to a different shop and get an alignment check. The lift is just the standard OME lift......I think 2.5 inches. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Don’t clamp your brake line with vice grips. You can get the same information by checking the temperature of each brake rotor after a drive of a few miles which requires only gentle braking. They should be cool or slightly warm to the touch. If one is hot, you have a brake dragging.

Also, are you sure it is pulling that direction, could it just be that the steering wheel is off-center?

What type of alignment was done, was it a full four wheel alignment or just the front tracking. It must be annoying if you only average 38 miles a week and it still bothers you, I have already done that by 8:00 on a monday.

Ps, what are your tires like. The PO on my truck only done low mileage and the tires had become weak with age, rotate the tires to see if it alters.

I'm sure it's pulling. If I let go of the wheel, it will drift to the left. Will look at the breaks today

What type of alignment was done, was it a full four wheel alignment or just the front tracking. It must be annoying if you only average 38 miles a week and it still bothers you, I have already done that by 8:00 on a monday.

Full 4 wheel alignment was done. I am going to have it rechecked tomorrow and post the results. We just use it for camping and road trips. I mostly drive my FJ60.

Tires are only 2 years old with about 4,000 miles on them. Rotated and balanced a couple days ago. Did same thing with old tires and new ones

@Spike555, have you done this before... clamping 18-yr-old rubber brake lines with vice grips? I haven't. But, it seems like a quick path to another brake project ;)

If the alignment shop didn't see anything, it might be time to have the other shop inspect the suspension/steering/brake parts.

Sure have. You're not drive cross country, you're driving around the block.

OME rear coil springs are different lengths (by about 10 mm). They are from a right hand drive country. I’ll bet you have the longer spring on the right side (as they were likely labeled), you need to have the longer spring on US cruisers on the left side (driver and gas tank located off center to left here). Your height difference is a clue, this would cause the pull you are experiencing. I’d check that now.

OME rear coil springs are different lengths (by about 10 mm). They are from a right hand drive country. I’ll bet you have the longer spring on the right side (as they were likely labeled), you need to have the longer spring on US cruisers on the left side (driver and gas tank located off center to left here). Your height difference is a clue, this would cause the pull you are experiencing. I’d check that now.

I am having the OME2866 with equal length rear coils not sure about @cbenowen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom